Table Modification

Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
We are looking for a table modification that will allow the table to go down to make large sleeping area. Not too complicated. Anyone have suggestions? we are new 2000 Hunter 260 owners.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Ours came from the factory able to make a bed. Post photos. It was a bit stiff, but we had a knob to loosen then push down hard. The problem we had was the table was way too big for the space. We couldn't scoot around it. I ended up building a new smaller one with rounded corners. In the picture (this is the new tabletop) you can see how it works.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Very timely! We too are brainstorming at this mod. I am currently working on the trailer however and the boat has been put into its slip w/o a new mondo condo sleeping berth

I have no desire to pull the compression post so was thinking of a few milled plastic half rings tying in table support brackets. The CAD drawing has given me new hope. Will be lurking closely.

Has anyone sourced a clamp that would hold the table at different levels and alleviate drilling new pin hole through the compression post?

Oct 15, 2017
Hunter 36 Deale, MD
We always felt the table was too large on our 36, but understood that it's that big so it rests on the seats for stability. After a decade of not using it as a bed, we decided to replace thr original with one the folds to a small, 2 person size. It expands to serve 4- 5 comfortably.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's the same on the 356. Way too big. It made the space nearly useless. I kept the table down a lot and just used it as sprawl space. And even then it was too short for me to lay extended. 90% of our meals were in the cockpit anyway. Almost anything would have improved that space. I think it would have been nice to be able to slide the table up the compression post so that it would be on the ceiling. Then you could use the space like a settee - with a little less headroom.

Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
We are looking for a table modification that will allow the table to go down to make large sleeping area. Not too complicated. Anyone have suggestions? we are new 2000 Hunter 260 owners.

Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
Saw this table mod on a Hunter we looked at to purchase. The forward section flips up and a large storage area is underneath.
3584189E-8969-4146-921E-59A4F9BD5D34.jpeg
3584189E-8969-4146-921E-59A4F9BD5D34.jpegD99553F6-278A-4FE1-BC11-B2F138CB6027.jpegD68276A8-3899-4C63-9C60-F44CB850257D.jpeg

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
RolfSail,

Did the same to our 2002. Lots of articles on here - look at the h260 owners mods and the Hunter small boat discussion: this is a copy of a previous note I wrote last month.

Was always interested as because as nice as the aft queen berth is for a boat this size its pretty difficult for two to use and manage the access (I'm 6'4"). Our 260 has a molded lip around the outside of the cabin lazarettes. I assume it was designed for the purpose of dropping the table down but the extra costs to design & make it happen was probably too much (considering the existing queen).

We did the conversion but it will take some fabrication work and removal of the compression post which requires removal of the mast. The big design issue is supporting the table in its traditional "up" position. We tried 1 removable post and eventually used 2.

Below freezing - not recommended. Based upon the amount of silicone I found packed in there indicated that the post had been out before.
1587407413924.png

Gotta engineer to compensate for removal of the fiberglass support.

1587407637276.png

Ended up with this. Note - cup holders are awesome but........forgot about clearance on #3.

1587407836372.png

Table now has 4 positions: down (sleep), medium std. (large dining), med (reversed - small dining) and up (entertaining, loading and cleaning). Sleeved two new holes in compression post to accommodate. Table up with powdercoated reinforcement.

1587408294385.png

So.......it can be done. However - moving the table is a two person job. Its heavy and care needs to be taken. I would not sail with the table in the up position - ever. Note: original "donut" (top right) was later changed for two removable 2" post supports which alleviated wobble.

Apologize - don't have a pic of the finished project. Waited for a sale and matched the existing cushion fabric color (not available vis Hunter) at Jo-Anne fabric. Made the 2 cushions from 3" foam.

So...........we mostly don't use it!

Nothing has changed for day sailing and overnights. Keep the table in our standard reversed middle position with Mrs. Snow sleeping on the port lazarettes so.......did we need this? Well......its pretty awesome while cruising especially with 3 people. Can now support 2 couples (w/no corona spacing). BIG comfy king + bed area. Just........totally pleasant and amazing sleeping space for a 26" boat. Enough room for two small duffles under the table - Mrs. Snows wheelie carry on fits very nicely. The new cushions get moved to the v berth (no more cushion up there) and it stays down while cruising as we seldom eat below. This would be a great addition for a small family.

Please shoot me a message with questions. There are a few nit pick items we would change if doing it again but overall - pretty pleased. Total cost was approximately $300 inclusive of the 4 cool cupholders & cushions but excluding my labor.