H26 Drop Down Table Mod

Aug 4, 2016
Hunter 26 Kingston
I have an 1998 H26 and I am looking to make a drop down table Mod. I think it would add a lot of room for late night movie watching on the bulkhead TV.

Has anyone ever built this mod:
https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=20&aid=7163&mn=260

From looking at the plans it looks like it would work just fine. I was considering using 1/2 " Mahogany, vice plywood

Thoughts?

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I built that. It works but I’m not a great carpenter. Removing the fasteners takes for-daggum-ever for me. I’d love to see how well it works out for you. Good luck!

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
Is this for removing the plastic under the table support and replacing it with wood that will allow the table to drop down flush (as in the H260 wing keel model) with the bench area?

I'm just not totally sure what I'm looking at. Thanks!

Kivalo

Jun 5, 2011
Hunter 260 Owasco Lake
Can anyone tell me the distance from the bottom of the table to the top of the pin in the compression post that holds the table in the correct height while the table is in its normal position? Also that same distance assuming the table is lowered into the bunk position?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would love to see how the whole thing works with the table. This looks like a good project.
Rade0041, amazing work, the best of both worlds:clap:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 23, 2016
Hunter 26 MN
I went back and updated my drawings of this. It looks like there is 3 inches of clearance between the bottom of the table and the top of the fiberglass deal that sticks up for the centerboard when the table is all the way down. With my support I ended up drilling another hole in the compression post 7in higher than the original to support the table in the up position.

Basically what I did was took a piece of aluminum round tubing that was 4.5in OD and the plastic (HDPE?) ring that was attached to the original fiberglass table support fit right inside. I cut a couple more rings just like that one and stuffed them in there too.

I attached a drawing with the basic dimensions. Here are some renderings from Fusion360...
TableSupport2.png

TableSupport v8.png
TableSupport v7.png

Attachments

Aug 6, 2017
Pearson 31-2 Atwood Lake
@rade0041 what all is involved (in basic terms - I am not ready to tackle all of this yet but incredibly interested in this project - you did an amazing job!) in removing the original table base and installing the new one? What all needs removed to access the compression post to place the table and new bracket? I see this and think, I WANT IT NOW, but I am not great at boat work so I need to be realistic about what's possible for me to get into. I have people who can help fabricate the base for me, but as far as the installation and what needs done on the boat - whether the boat needs pulled and centerboard needs to come out to remove the compression post, etc. - I have no idea.

Again, any insight you can provide would be fantastic. Thank you!

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Very timely! We too are brainstorming at this mod.

I have little desire to pull the compression post so was thinking of a few milled plastic half rings and then tying in table support brackets horizontally . Rades drawing has given me new ideas and hope. Are there pics?

Has anyone sourced a clamp that would hold the table at different levels and alleviate drilling new pin holes through the compression post?

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
H2o... you will have to remove the compression post to remove the current table support cone, unless you are prepared to destroy it.

Nov 18, 2016
^^^ Yup. I had not considered not cutting it out. Just break out the jigsaw and hope I had the skills and design to pull off the table conversion. :biggrin: Probably why I have been kinda/sorta putting this one off.

Maybe I'm making too much of a deal about removing the compression post??? It seems the important parameters are the measurement from the bottom of the table to the top of the molded compression post holder in the floor and designing the new table supports solid enough to take 350 - 450 lbs of people moving around on their knees in bed mode. Appears Rades sternmost cross member uses the cut out lip of the lazerettes for additional support?

Another solution here: http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=20&aid=7386&mn=260
Appears the link to the legs has expired.

Aug 4, 2016
Hunter 26 Kingston
I think I am going to try Rade's idea, I think the wood version would be too weak. I will post a picture once done. Rade, thanks for that second pic, I saw your original Mod in the "Mod Section" but I just couldn't picture how it worked.

H2o, don't worry about the compression post, all you need is two people and 20 minutes (if the mast is down)

Mar 23, 2016
Hunter 26 MN
I would love to see what others come up with. I am sure there are many improvements that could be made. :)

Nov 18, 2016
Rade,

Thanks again for your efforts. Have a buddy who is a custom welder. He really liked your plan. My concern is making the bed as sturdy as possible as Mrs. Snow and I are 5'10" & 6"5" respectively.

Have looked at 3" foam and coverings. Previously TT the shop who did the initial H260 upholstery - they can't match the fabric - said they "probably got a good deal on a bunch of bolts back in the day". Be great to see what you guys come up with re: foam and fabric and amount needed.

I'm crewing in the R2AK so will not be pursuing this until coming home from Alaska. Our tentative game plan is to possibly move forward when the boat is out of the water following a Aug. San Juan jaunt. Interested in the compression post removal/subsequent reseat and adhesives used.

Ian M

Sep 22, 2016
Hunter 260 Central Coast, CA
Rade001,

I really like your table mod. It looks like you used channel aluminum for the supports. Where did you get channel aluminum that tapers like that (i.e. it looks to be ~2.5" at the compression post and goes down to 1" towards the end of the support).

Thanks once again for posting the drawing and pictures. I think this is the most solid table modification I have seen.

Nov 18, 2016
A "new" table FYI.

Our H260 is now packed up for the winter. Heading down to my welding buddy's shop tomorrow for an early morning consult . Project is penciled in for late Oct. Planning on a modified Rade plan.

Where did you guys source foam and fabric - wondering how much I will need - not planning on cutting the table down.

Thanks!