Switching to LEDs bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Thanks. I have an excellent recommendation for the reputation of this company (see post #18 above). Without that recommendation, I wouldn't be prepared to take a chance. I even have the data sheet on the PWM chip included.
Pete
PS given the size of the chips, I doubt a pic will convince a doubter:doh:
Not completely doubting but if you see my thread on the Chinese LED and that I added a regulator to prevent burn out. Total cost was a little more than $2.00 . A close up photo of the back will indicate which chip is being used.

Just curious:neutral:

Dec 10, 2010
None NA Stuart, FL
A linear constant current addition should not be more expensive,See the following circuit
http://led.linear1.org/a-cheap-current-regulated-luxeon-star-driver-design/
The cost of the circuit is approx. 0.5 USD
For marine use I prefer the linear over the pwm version as the switching can induce EMI.
Thanks. I have determined that the Array g4 style LEDs sold by Lowes for $8.98 use linear regulation. I'm now testing one.Update: we really like the 1 watt power consumption and the brightness. So far the whiter color has been acceptable. We had occasion to call Nexxus Lighting (makers of Array) with some questions concerning current regulation and allowable input Voltage range. Their tech support is really poor.
Pete

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2010
None NA Stuart, FL
We have just ordered 15 of the 6 LED g4 style bulbs from Matrix Lighting for less than $2 eachand also a festoon style 30 LED anchor light for less than $5. Both bulbs come with PWM type regulation. Shipping was $20 with delivery on or before Feb 22nd. We're hoping RFI is not a problem. Worse comes to worse, we'll put the marinebeam bulbs in one or more fixtures for use when RFI matters. We're seriously considering one of their neat red/white bulbs for over the nav station for use while underway at night.
Pete

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
See my writeup from replacing my lights with LEDs.

http://sailingit.com/blog/boat-projects/cabin-light-replacment-and-led-upgrades

I used the sensabulb G4 insert replacments (I had to switch out the housing too, but that was more to get a white/red option than anything else), so I just removed the G4 bulb and insterted the LED. They work great, light up the cabin quite nicely, are easy to read under, and don't get hot or draw much power.

At the time they were the only good quality LED that also had the brightness and color output I was looking for, I would assume that other brands now can match them, but they have been working great, and despite the cost, I feel it was worth it.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 361 Seattle
Using ebay LEDs

I bought ebay G4 LEDs here for $1.51 each and MR16 LEDs here for $4.49 each last fall. Figured at that price it was worth a shot. All the bulb colors on mine matched so no issue there. Originally tried a MR16 spot with surface mounted LEDs in cool white and the light was too harsh. Switched to a "warm white" version with a single recessed LED and they match the hue of the original lights. Also used a warm white colored bulb for the overheads and it is a perfect match. I haven't seen any issue so far.

Dec 10, 2010
None NA Stuart, FL
I just ordered one of the marinebeam model SP-G4-09-RW red/white switchable g4 bulbs. I will use it at the nav station when underway at night.
Pete

Dec 10, 2010
None NA Stuart, FL
I just installed the marinebeam red/white LED above the Nav station. It is a very bright white compared to the dimmer and more yellow halogen bulb it replaces. Overall, I'm happy with it even though the price seems high compared to the Chinese bulbs I have on order for less than $2 each. The red will be nice for sailing underway at night to avoid loss of night vision and disturbing those sleeping off watch.
Pete

Jan 16, 2006
Beneteau OC 461 Charleston, SC
I am told by our dealer in Denmark, that two yachts have caught fire there using the $2 Chinese LEDs. This led us to buy some unregulated resistive bulbs from a Chinese Ebay dealer, and test them. They basically caught fire at 14.8V in about 3 minutes. Here is what we found.:

http://store.marinebeam.com/videos.html

Caveat Emptor.

Dec 10, 2010
None NA Stuart, FL
I am told by our dealer in Denmark, that two yachts have caught fire there using the $2 Chinese LEDs. This led us to buy some unregulated resistive bulbs from a Chinese Ebay dealer, and test them. They basically caught fire at 14.8V in about 3 minutes. Here is what we found.:

http://store.marinebeam.com/videos.html

Caveat Emptor.
I think we need to be careful not to generalize about $2 Chinese LEDs any more than you can about $20 American LEDs:) The Chinese LEDs we bought cost less than $2 each and include PWM regulation and (as tested) don't cause interference at radio frequencies. I do agree with Caveat Emptor in all dealings.
Pete

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 361 Seattle
After reading endlessly on this subject, I decided to replace my resister type LEDs from China with ones from Lighting Matrix (constant current type) per Pete's advice. Have the 12 overhead lights (g4 - $2), 10 reading lights (M16 - $5), and 1 special AquaSignal anchor light with dimpled ends ($6.24) on the way. Figured better safe than sorry on this one. Price was almost a cheap as the original LEDs except for the $30 in shipping this time around (last time shipping was free). 7-10 days for production + shipping time. I'll report back with the verdict once they are installed.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 361 Seattle
Update: LEDs were ordered on 4/19 and were completed on 4/27. They were shipped on 4/30 and arrived at my doorstep in Seattle on 5/1 - one day later! All LEDs are working and the warm white closely matches the old halogens. Have to give Bill @ Lighting Matrix kudos for a quality product at a great price with insanely fast shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.