Swim Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Margaritaville

I know I have been posting alot of questions but it is time for fix-up. I saw a sailboat the other day with a swim platform. It got me thinking how much easier it would be for Scuba diving if my boat had a platform. I think either a fixed or possible a folding platform might be nice. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Maybe I am nuts for even think this

J

Jeff

Yes, I saw a swim platform on an O'Day 28. He made it himself with some thick white plastic and it folded up. I have been thinking about a swim platform also. The H31 transom is certainly big enough for it. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who lived on a sailboat for 20 years and also does fine woodwork and he said we could build one out of teak. I'm thinking about a fixed platform, but that might be a problem when the boat heals to 30 degrees etc. Next time I take the boat out in heavy winds, I'm going to mark the stern with tape and check out exactly how low and wide it can go. The stern ladder would also have to be redone.

J

Jeff

and another thing....

... there is no such thing as asking too many questions! How are you going to know if you don't ask is what my Dad always used to say. Besides, it keeps the forum alive and others are usually wondering the same thing or gets them thinking about what they never considered. Have Fun!

J

Jared

Archives for H34

If you check the archives under the H34's and search for sugar scoop transom, you will find some examples of a built in swim platform. The H34 is very similar to the H31. Who knows how that thing effects performance by adding that big platform, but it is an idea. I attached the link below.

D

Douglas Washburn

Jeff...

Did you see the O'Day example there at Stockton? I would be interested also in seeing it.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Conway, Lake Ouachita, Arkansas
Sugar Scoop on Vagabond

Is there anyone out there who knows the Owner of Vagabond (Hunter 34)? I did a search once on the USCG site and found a name, then did a internet search and found some phone numbers. I never did find the owner. I would love to find him and find out if there is a mold for the transom. It appears to be a bolt on platform. Tim Welsh Hunter 34 S/V Cabo Wabo

Jun 4, 2004
Found the guy (Sugar Scoop

Just talked to the guy and he's going to let me know. He has the mold Tim Welsh

M

Margaritaville

I love it!

I would love to get ahold of the mold for the swimplatform or see if he would be interested in making one for me. Paul paulrhein@yahoo.com

Jun 4, 2004
I'll let you know Paul

Paul, I'll let you know when I hear back from him, I've got a good glass guy here in Arkansas, just need the mold Tim Welsh Hunter 34

J

Jeff

Vagabond is a 34....

Will it fit a H31? Is the 31 and 34 transom the same ? I would like to have one too if it fits! Gives the boat a whole new look!

Jun 4, 2004
31 vs 34 transoms

I'll do some measuring this weekend. there's a 31 docked close to my boat. Tim Welsh Hunter 34 S/V Cabo Wabo

A

Alan Liebnick

oops!

It should have read. There is a H34 with an "aftermarket" swim platform.

T

Tim Welsh

Hey Alan

Hey Alan, does it look like the platform on vagabond? Tim Welsh

M

Margaritaville

Alan can you get a picture of the transom?

If the boat is near you can you get some pictures of it? the one on vagabond is kinda hard to tell how it really looks, I love to see the one you are refering too! Paul

Jun 4, 2004
Headed out Sunday morning

Paul, I'm headed out Sunday morning to pick up the mold. That is as long as everything goes well. The owner of the mold is going to have to drive 8 hours to get there. While I'm there I'm going to look at one of the boats that has the platform on it and take plenty of pictures. The guy that has the mold said he had a lot of pictures on it (hopefully installation too). He's going to give me some pointers on installation. I'll have my laptop with me so I'll give some progress reports on the way. This could be the best or worst investment I've ever made. But who cares, I'm single with no dependants, so what better way to blow money than on a boat. Tim Welsh Hunter 34 S/V Cabo Wabo

Jun 4, 2004
Mold for sugar scoop transom

I'm in Virginia right now, and I'm headed back to Arkansas with the Vagabond II mold for the transom. There have been appoximatley 20 of them made. Probably 15 or more were put on Hunter 34's. A couple of 31's had the scoop installed on them, but I think modification was necessary. Most of the boats are in Solomons Maryland or surrounding areas. Vagabond II is down near Myrtle Beach now. The guy who owns Vagabond II built the mold himself. He's older now and has emphasyma and has retired from fiberglass. His son took over the business and ran it a few years then shut it down. They used to make several smaller fishing boats and dingy's. Draketails inc. was the name. Anyone ever seen a Draketail boat? The molds in Great shape. The stand it was on (2X4's) were pretty ragged so I left it there. I'll post some pics in a little bit Tim Welsh Hunter 34 S/V Cabo Wabo

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
"Drake tail"...

like the duck, HOW very appropriate. I think they look very, very cool. Whether or not they provide the amount of "swim platform" area that most are looking for remains to be seen.

J

Jeff

Tim

Do you know what modifications are needed to put it on a H31? I looks really cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.