swim platform

May 14, 2019
Irwin 37' mark III Puget Sound
We have an older Irwin 37' Mark III. We enjoy diving off and swimming, climbing back by first getting into the RIB and then up and on board.
Does anyone have any ideas, pro or con, about adding a swim platform onto the transom?
-Barnett

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I've owned boats with no swim platform (overhanging stern on Allied Seabreeze 35') and now have a boat with a sugar-scoop transom that has a swim platform that's part of the hull from the factory (Beneteau 373). Are you talking about adding a swim platform or a swim ladder? Both boats I've owned had swim ladders... the Seabreeze was a removable teak ladder than hung down on the starboard topsides, and folded down into the water when being used, and the 373 has a from-the-factory folding stainless ladder that extends off the stern platform to help climbing in/out. While a ladder alone isn't as convenient as a platform with a ladder... it certainly beats using your RIB as a ladder (which I've also done in a pinch). Why not add a ladder (if you don't have one already) to start with?

May 14, 2019
The option would be to add a swim platform and a ladder, then a ladder up to deck. Thanks for the info.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The option would be to add a swim platform and a ladder, then a ladder up to deck. Thanks for the info.
I have seen boats with such an arrangement. They have a wooden slat platform with SS or bronze mounts to the transom, and a ladder off the platform. It looks like a convenient way to board.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Here is a link on this site for a Teak platform built by the previous owners. https://oday.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=139&aid=6547&mn=34 We own the boat now, LOVE the swim platform. We scuba of the back of the boat works great, The young grandkids love jumping in the water @ anchor. very easy to board and unload the dink. I'll look for updated photos that show the swim ladder. It retracts and stores below the platform. I have current photos with everything cleaned up. Let me know if you need to see close-ups. BTW it will be expensive to buy the teak if you can find it in 8/4. Also the brackets were custom made stainless bolted through the transom. I added SS plates vs the flat washers that were orginal inside the transom and bed them with Main sails calk

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
My H30 has a added swim platform that is mounted about 12 inches above the water line. It isn't a issue unless you running down wind in heavy seas. Although not a actual issue as of yet, the waves catch it as the waves overtake the boat. I made a rail mounted rope ladder that can be deployed for MOB issues. I use the swim step all the time for loading and unloading the RIB. Probably the most valuable use. It has a step mounted halfway up the transom for the height between the platform and railing.

May 14, 2019
You folks are giving me very helpful information. I certainly appreciate it!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
A boat just showed up this spring in the boat yard here with an aftermarket swim platform. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of it, but it is very nicely done. It is a Tanzer 10.5 with a transom hung rudder which makes the swim platform challenging so it is split in two with rudder stops built into it. It is molded fiberglass with the outline matching the hull shape and a small flange where it must be bonded to the transom. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, it really is nicely done. If you want to put a lot of effort into making a mold and laying fiberglass, you can make it look like part of the boat.
A buddy of mine with an aluminum boat made a fold up swim platform with a massive hinge welded to the transom. It has cables to support it and two pins which pass through the platform when folded with clevis pins to keep it in place.
I just have a transom mounted stainless fold down swim ladder on my boat which is also great for loading and unloading the dinghy.

May 14, 2019
The hinge fixed to the transom is an idea. I'll check with a couple fibreglass fabricators and see what it takes for a molded platform and either bolted on or added as an extension to the hull. Thanks for the ideas!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I just have a transom mounted stainless fold down swim ladder on my boat which is also great for loading and unloading the dinghy.
Hi Barnett, swim ladder seems to make the most sense to me. Your boat should have one already, or if not it needs to be added. Hardly ever swim here. Once in the past fifteen plus years while cruising.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think side ladders are nicer to climb aboard from, but, for emergency self-rescue MOB, an easy to reach from the water transom ladder seems like a must.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The hinge fixed to the transom is an idea. I'll check with a couple fibreglass fabricators and see what it takes for a molded platform and either bolted on or added as an extension to the hull. Thanks for the ideas!
Friend of mine bought a Hylas (42?), reverse transom. He had a sugar scoop stern added on to make it a 44 boat.

May 14, 2019
I think side ladders are nicer to climb aboard from, but, for emergency self-rescue MOB, an easy to reach from the water transom ladder seems like a must.

-Will (Dragonfly)
The height from waterline to the deck on the Irwin is about 4 feet. We have a side mount ladder we use to access the RIB. Climbing up a side ladder takes a lot and we are both getting up there, so something on the stern that serves as a "stopping point" makes sense. The stern on the Irwin is almost vertical, but has about a 5% or less cant forward at the bottom.

May 14, 2019
What a variety! The top ladder looks rather simple and efficient. Any idea what it's called, the manufacturer, etc? Barnett

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH