Swim platform on my 30

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
I put mine on hinges to avoid any more length on the boat so no issue to the marina, also by using 2 platforms they hinge up better than one big platform that would be curved to meet the transom.

I couldn't live without them :) Dean

note my post above with pics

Feb 25, 2014
Catalina 30 Grand Lake. Wyandotte, Ok.
Very nice for those that have added pics. I have seen quite a few platforms sell cheap through my wakeboard buddies. Should have picked one up for conversion. I now am looking. Great idea

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Lancer 40 & Catalina 30/309 Galveston, TX / Kingston, OK
Sanford H. can you give your thoughts about the height of your swim step off the water? Do you think its at optimum height, or if you were doing it over would you prefer it be any lower?

Apr 14, 2014
Catalina 30 Gulf of Mexico
Sanford H. can you give your thoughts about the height of your swim step off the water? Do you think its at optimum height, or if you were doing it over would you prefer it be any lower?
Sanford, shoot me a email mark@toprailtubing.com and I'll send you some dims.

Bracket boy

I'm at the shop until 8:30 pm tonight

Sanman

Aug 28, 2006
- - Birmingham, AL
OKengr... I think my platform is just about the right height. Any lower and (I think) she would drag on a tack, any higher and it would be a bit too high. as it sits now the inflatable dinghy just fits under, and makes it easy to load and unload the o/b to the dink.

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
What is the angle of the transom for a platform? I am having someone build me brackets and I need to know the transom angle when she is sitting in the water. I will also need to know the angle for the curve of the transom if anyone know this? Also what is the size of the platform on the back? I am thinking about 36" X 22".

Apr 14, 2014
Not sure about the transom angle in the water, all the swim platforms frames we built for our families and friends were adjustable for a perfect fit. With regards to the transom radius, I'll check that along with the chord length and get back with you; we have flat patterns and drawing files for all Catalina's, seems like the Cat 30 Mark l platform size itself is approx 40" x 21"

do you have Solidworks or AutoCad ?

get back w/u soon

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Very interesting. I am favoring split platforms on either side of the ladder, hinged so they can be folded out of the way in the slip and in following seas. Bracketboy, I am curious about SS frames vs. frameless. If one went frameless using King to save weight, how thick do you think one would have to go to through-bolt the hinges?

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
Similar, but a slightly different flavor to this topic... We have a standard ss ladder, with round steps / tubing, and stepping onto them, coming out of the water is rather painful. I have seen same ladder with flat wood or plastic strips on each step with metal sides, not what CatalinaDirect sells. Cannot find these anywhere...let me know if I should attach pictures...looking for them for a while now....

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
No unfortunately I don t have auto cad. I am scribing the back of the boat for the swim platform. I am having brackets made up that will be removable. I am trying to find the angle for the transom so the brackets can be made up before I get the platform.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
No unfortunately I don t have auto cad. I am scribing the back of the boat for the swim platform. I am having brackets made up that will be removable. I am trying to find the angle for the transom so the brackets can be made up before I get the platform.
just incorporat turnbuckles in the diagonal bracing so you will have adjustment assuming you are going to use fittings to fabricate this

Apr 14, 2014
Seems like the angle was 85 , I'll check it out this afternoon, should have calm winds today.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
When I stretched my boat from 32 to 34 I thought about changing the sticker... and then I thought better not!

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
wow way off LOL what year is your Catalina ? Thank you so much for checking.
So only 4.8 degrees from 90. Thats not much.

Apr 14, 2014
We have a 1983 Catalina tall rig
5 degrees at 15" there would be approx 1.5" drop or droop.