Swim platform on my 30

Apr 14, 2014
Catalina 30 Gulf of Mexico
Any one with swim platform history?
My friend in Baytown is diving for joy ever since he aquired one.

Pros and cons?

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I know that the split transom on the Mark III eliminates that ladder on the previous models, but a swim platform? :eek:

Can you discuss further or provide any photos, model year?

Thanks
Bob

Sanman

Aug 28, 2006
- - Birmingham, AL
The P.O. of my '89 Cat 30 put a swim platform on her. It was a big point in its favor for our purchase, Makes getting in and out of the water and Dink Soooooooo much easier. I cant understand why more people dont do it... probably cost. But if she didn't already have it, we would have added it. There is also an article in this months Good Old Boat Magazine about adding a swim platform. Hope that helps!

Attachments

Apr 14, 2014
Wow! that's super nice and it looks great, it does appear to be quite accommodating.

I've been building one for myself.... stainless tubing and 3/4"King starlite.

I only hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Thanks for the pics, I'll post mine in a few days.

Apr 14, 2014
It's kinda like a back porch for your boat, u can stand on it as u shake your fist and yell at all those young whippersnapper's playing their music to loud. "you dang kids turn that crap down"

My friend in Baytown ready like his, swimming / sailing with the wife, diving with scuba Steve or just hanging out backed up in the slip.

Working with Catalina 30 and 36, 70's & 80's models. I'll send pics of one I started building for myself asap.

Thanks

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
Sanford I'm curious if this eliminated the exhaust fumes in the cockpit. When my dodger is on and the the front window down( as it is mostly in Puget sound) we get exhaust coming in to the cockpit.

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
Here are my platforms

Here is what I did, went to the marine surplus got 2 of these small ones that would have been for some power boat, sealed hinges (not SS) and SS bolts though. I love them, it lets the water drip off from you before you climb in, and cozy to sit on too.
1985 Catalina 30 tall rig s/v Rubaiyat

Attachments

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Everyone seems to want a platform on the back...including me. Not sure why there isn't many if any aftermarket suppliers for them. It makes life so much easier especially on a high freeboard boat like sailboats.

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
I have to admit when I saw swim step on Catalina 30 I was a bit skeptical. Just had opened this thread to take a look. If I were to put one on I know my Marina will come out and add it to my footage of my slip, in that case it would not be for me. But thank all of you for your pictures, it was quite interesting.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i have probably the third catalina 30 made with an open stern and you are all leaving out probably the main advantage. if any one ever goes overboard it's a staggering task to get him back without an open stern. also, for those of us who have a thing called winter, it makes it so much easier to get on and off the boat while she's on the hard.

Sanman

Aug 28, 2006
- - Birmingham, AL
Sanford I'm curious if this eliminated the exhaust fumes in the cockpit. When my dodger is on and the the front window down( as it is mostly in Puget sound) we get exhaust coming in to the cockpit.
Brad, I havent noticed any exhaust fumes in the cockpit (and we motorsailed 300 miles Tampa to Pensacola with winds off the stern and following sea)...So I can only say, "Maybe" although, I kind of doubt it since ours is slotted teak. I think the little flapper on the exhaust that prevents back flooding may be more responsible for that. Others will; I am certain, know more about this phenomenon.

I also agree its a good spot for recovering a MOB... And shouting rude things at Jet Skiers in the anchorage :D

Apr 14, 2014
Thanks for the links. Yes, they would work but I am wanting a full width platform. A place for at least 2 people to sit on....big enough to get my 75 lb dog aboard....a place to wee wee off of comfortably :)

The one I'm building for my boat is plenty wide for myself, my beautiful wife and our 50lbs mutt; also a nice roomy wee wee area, port side straight-out or starboard.
Should have it installed this weekend, most ladies down here love the idea of having a place to read a book with their feet in the water while enjoying many glasses of wine.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I would like to see pictures when you are done. Is it teak, starboard or another material? The years of having an inboard skiboat with a full platform has spoiled me I guess. At anchor, I spent more time on that platform than in the boat.

Apr 14, 2014
I would like to see pictures when you are done. Is it teak, starboard or another material? The years of having an inboard skiboat with a full platform has spoiled me I guess. At anchor, I spent more time on that platform than in the boat.

Can relate to that, did the same thing for almost a year myself.
The transom platforms I've built for my friends have stainless steel frames, 304 fresh or 316 salt, platform decks are either King starlite or teak... both r great. The teak is alota work, it can leave one feeling very classy but a bit sore from the refinishing.... the King starlite is forever, its white appearance seemingly matches most boats and gives more a modern upgraded presents at 30% less the weight of starboard; both will accentuate most transoms quite well. Sometimes after a few cans of refreshment the platforms can give the allusion of an extended stern that flows out from the top aft knee down along the radius of the transom out to the water's edge and then back up and around to the other side with zero drag at any degree, folks seem to like that no drag thing.

Ps: I'm installing one of those super nice under platform 3 step telescoping stainless ladder on mine.

I'm building a blog with all the pic's, I'll send you a link asap

Thanks, Bracketboy