surging diesel solved...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve W

Thanks for all the response to my earlier post. Here's what I did to solve the surging problem: New fuel filter, bleed lines and injectors= no change. Adjust governor again=no change. Have diver check cutlass bearing, shaft and prop=all ok.Tighten motor mounts=no change. Align engine/coupling again= no change. Disconnect coupling, run engine= no surging in gear at any rpm, trans quiet and smooth. Wiggle disconnected shaft and coupling, testing for excess play: all ok. Button it back up & run engine: still surging. Tighten up stuffing box to slow drip rate so the S.O.B. won't sink: ENGINE QUITS SURGING AND VIBRATION STOPS! Ran engine for two hours, all rpm's, surging gone, vibration gone. Never read anywhere that a stuffing box could cause such a problem. Go figure! Going sailng tomorrow :) Thanks again

B

Bob Camarena

Thanks

It's nice to hear the final story on a problem and whether or not our advice, or more accurately, our wild guesses are right or wrong. I would never have guessed that the stuffing box, particularly a loose one would be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.