Supporting O'Day 23 for painting

Jun 14, 2015
Oday 23 Clinton Lake
Hi all,
I have a 23 O'Day and I want to paint the bottom. I plan on parking it in the driveway and would like to support it under the shoal keel and use 4x4s and plywood as side supports. I would prefer not to jackstands. Any advice on support point, number of 4x4s etc?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have lowered the tongue of my trailer as low as possible, then built a tower framework under the stern using 18" long 4x4s. Then I jack up the tongue, suspending the boat between the stern and bow supports on the trailer. It's enough for me to get spots where the trailer rollers support the boat. I don't leave her like that for long. I'm sure the trailer doesn't care for it much.

I've seen folks with bunk style trailers put supports under the rub rail down to the ground, like when you see carpenters support the roof of a porch while they replace the columns. Then they lower the bunk, paint, and raise the bunk back up. The boat should be resting weight on the keel rollers, with the bunks just there to provide lateral support so she doesn't tip to the side.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Thanks @Brian S. That was along the lines I was thinking. Are three supports (bow, middle,stern, as well as lateral) enough for the O'Day 23?
In the scenario I suggest, dropping bunks, I can't see needing more than 2 supports to ground roughly on thirds of the boat. All you are doing is preventing it accidentally falling towards the side you drop the bunk for the day while you paint 2 coats on there...

I have 4 roller pods, each pod has 4 rollers. 2 stern, 2 towards the bow that really don't quite contact the hull. Problem is, the clamps and bolts are rusted to a non-adjustable degree. That's why I use Granddad's trailer jack trick to hold the stern up and effectively lift the bow. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could use a torch and sufficient amount of cussin' to replace the bolts on these roller pods. Nawwww...

Sorry, no pics of my 4x4 tower under the stern. I pretty much jacked the boat, painted, and put her back down as quickly as I could. Seemed plenty stable, but...

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg