• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Super Typhoon Hagibis

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This West Pacific Storm is passing north of Guam and targeting Japan.
New term of Category 5+ as Super.
This not in the purview of NOAA, but the US Navy meteorological group which has it headquarters near me.
NASA Space Center.
_____
Hagibis is expected to decrease in strength as it approaches Japan's cooler waters.
Jim...

PS: NOAA did correctly forecast a very active Pacific this year.
PSS: This storm may affect the PNW in 2 weeks.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This will be interesting to watch. The affecting weather features are so different than in the Atlantic.
Is there an analogous warm water current to the Gulfstream or something similar to the Bermuda High?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Is there an analogous warm water current to the Gulfstream or something similar to the Bermuda High?
The Pacific Ocean has so many currents it is way beyond me to explain the effects.
But here are the short term weather Gyres
Oceanic_gyres.png

Note the counter spin in the southern hemisphere. Australia gets both spins effects.

Here is the analog to the Gulf Stream.
Kuroshio Current - Wikipedia
Common term Japanese Current.
_____
The Pacific HIGH is what has protected the USA from Hurricanes this year.

As the Angle of the Sun shallows for the Fall/Winter, the effects of these HIGHs diminish.
Jim...

PS: I wonder if the Sun's radiation intensity, affects these currents and stuff like El Niño?:pimp:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
James.... You poke the bear:poke:
And are getting in an early October witch/warlock pot stirring... :stir:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You poke the bear[:hook2:]
You mean about the Solar radiation intensity or TSI?
What could the Sun's radiation, that hit the Oceans, have to do with El Niño or the Pacific?

The PNW has to contend with the Pacific...

Wait...

I forgot Most of the USA weather is caused by the Pacific Ocean.

Us Gulf of Mexico sailors do get some weather effects of the Hot Caribbean too.

Wait...

The Sun heats the Caribbean too.:stir:

Boy I must be off track somewhere.:pimp:

Jim...