Sunbird Battery Box

Apr 17, 2023
AMF Sunbird Fellows Lake
Hello everyone. Im new to sailing and I bought a 16" Sunbird fall of last year. I'm looking to mount a battery box to the floor board so that I don't lose my battery if I capsize. I've seen pictures of other boats that have done this but im not sure about what size screws they used of if they used anchors. I really don't want to drill into my boat unless I know that it will work. Has anyone done this? Is it a good idea? I would really appreciate some advice.
16817627904514529312154624798193.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Joe to the SBO Forum.
The Sunbird is a fun lake boat.
As I remember they were a plastic mold boat. That cockpit floor is hollow, designed to provide air between the cockpit deck and the outer hull to keep the boat a float when it is tipped over.

The tipped over part is a frequent occurrence as I recall.

Putting a 50lb block of lead battery in the boat would not be high in my consideration list for a Sunbird. If the boat tips over the battery will be toast and the weight will make it more difficult to right the boat. I can imagine your thoughts include getting back to shore if the wind dies. In the day, while sailing a 14ft Lido you watched the wind or you sat on the bow and paddled to shore/back to the dock.

Perhaps one of the new Torqueedo electric motors has a sealed compartment battery that can be dunked. I do not know. I believe they are much lighter than a MinnKota and Battery box.

You may be able to epoxy a board to the AMF plastic and then attach the battery box to the board. I think that process might earn admission in the Annual Darwin Awards.

Your boat your choice.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
What are you powering with this battery? if using it for a motor, how far do you travel per outing? I use a 12v 10A gelcell for my dinghy. Orientation doesnt matter and it weighs less then 10lbs. If using something this small you have a lot of options for mounting (straps, velcro, VHB tape, utilizing existing fasteners, etc). Does your boat look like the one below?
1681849926401.png

Oct 22, 2014
If I was going to install a battery it would be inside the cuddy.
It would be near the center board at the Cuddy entrance and beneath the mast.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
How are you planning on charging this battery? That will also have an influence on how you install it. If that's not your boat, some pics of your boat would greatly help show us what options are available

tips over the battery will be toast
If a battery can hold in acid+water, then theoretically it should be able to keep water out

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If a battery can hold in acid+water, then theoretically it should be able to keep water out
Flooded lead acid batteries often have vented cell caps that are not watertight if the battery is inverted. A sealed battery like an AGM would be watertight, but even then whatever it’s connected to might not fair well if submerged.

Oct 22, 2014
I think we've all seen acid around or on a battery at some point
I have a pair of jeans that developed holes on the legs when they were washed, after moving my batteries. Good reason to use rubber gloves. I could have used rubber leggings and an apron that day.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have a pair of jeans that developed holes on the legs when they were washed, after moving my batteries. Good reason to use rubber gloves. I could have used rubber leggings and an apron that day.
Oh I remember plenty of burnt cardboard boxes in high school auto class. I also remember shattering lettuce that had been frozen with R12 :biggrin:

Anyways, sorry for hijacking your thread @Joeswift. Can't wait to hear more details and pics. The gears are already turning

Apr 17, 2023
AMF Sunbird Fellows Lake
Wasn't expecting so many replies so fast. I use a minnkota trolling motor for docking and launching. Its only ever on for a minute or two per outing.

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Wasn't expecting so many replies so fast. I use a minnkota trolling motor for docking and launching. Its only ever on for a minute or two per outing.
I think the 10 amp battery that I use with my 36lbs motor on my dinghy would work for a 2-3 sails on your boat. I get about 4-5 round trips out of mine. It takes about 3-4 minutes to get to my mooring. There's a huge difference in runtime and speed (stays up to speed better on trips 4 and 5) with the 10 amp versus a 7 amp. The lower capacity batteries I got maybe 3 round trips out of. Don't expect your trolling motor to get you out of heavy winds or waves.

I have a cheap Chinese solar controller dedicated to the dinghy battery on my boat. I have two batteries that get swapped. I found a plastic electrical box, while it doesnt look pretty, works well as a cheap, yet durable battery holder. Mine is stored below deck. I'm sure there are better looking battery boxes out there. For a small gel cell, I don't see a need for a lid. I'd use shock cord or cut up an old bungee to keep it in place. I'm sure you can find a plastic box of some sort that'll work well. Project boxes come to mind as do small equipment cases

There's quite a few bolts in this area that can be utilized to attach a battery box. You can even secure it with wood screws to the plywood if it not splitting like I think it is.
1681910545994.png

In your case, I'd probably put the battery box on the lower bolt, resting or nearly resting on the seat. It won't take up anymore room than the motor already is. In otherwords, your not losing usable space in your cockpit. My second thought was to utilize the bolts for the upper gudgeon (rudder mount). If it was my boat, I'd probably try to mount it in the cubby hole in the cockpit if there's access to route cabling in the hull
1681911427263.png

There's plenty of options and opinions to come. Let us know what you ultimately decide and we can provide you with advice on proper installation techniques

Oct 22, 2014
Nice boat Joe.
That is the kind of boat I love to teach sailing in. It is simple to use. I would drop it in a lake and show kids or adults wanting to learn sailing, the fun.

Board at the dock. Raise the sails and just go. If the wind stops, sit on the bow with a canoe paddle and paddle back to the dock. No motor needed. In light breezes you can learn to back the boat up using the mainsail and the rudder. You can learn to approach the dock only using the jib and then letting go of the sail to slowly coast to the dock. The boat is light enough for even a 10 year old to hold it on the dock, jump aboard and coast out into the water under sail.

At that a motor becomes a burden. The weight and storage a pain. Hanging off the stern tonnage.

I you must, put your battery where it can do the least damage to your weight and balance on the boat. Under the mast as low as possible. When the motor is not in use in the same place. Remember balance and low/centered CG is important.

This is a boat that helps to teach balance and weight distribution/management to optimize the sailing experience.

Apr 17, 2023
AMF Sunbird Fellows Lake
I've decided to not do anything with the motor or battery. I like to use a trolling motor for docking but its too much of a burden to carry a motor and battery for this small comfort. Ultimatly it's my goal to be able to do everything single handed without the need for a motor so a better investment would be some extra sail coaching and a paddle. Thank you all for the advice.

I'll probably have more questions later on. There's a few other things I would like to fix but that will be a seperate post.
2022-02-27.jpg