Summer in the Salish Sea

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Friday Harbor has a nice guest dock. You can call ahead for reservations. Long walk down dock. Floating head stop when open. Otherwise facilities are up at main building. Marina is right in town with good food options nearby or easy walk.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Fishermans Bay a good anchorage with shore access as well as moorage at the Lopez marina. Small town has much to offer.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have yet to approach Fishermans Bay by boat. We enjoyed our visit during our Valentines stay on Lopez. It was winter but several spots (like the coffee shop) were open. The grocery store is a short walk from the marina docks. With winds out of the Eastern directions (NE to SE) the bay would be very well protected. No fetch out of the west, but also not much wind cover from the low lying sand spit that forms the SW to West edge of the bay.

Check your charts and guides. There is a major rock and sand bar lying in wait for the inattentive skipper entering the bay.

Dec 25, 2000
There is a major rock and sand bar lying in wait for the inattentive skipper entering the bay.
Yes indeed. I've seen that rock as I passed by on my way in, but it is well marked on the charts. Also, try to make it a point to enter/exit on a plus six tide state. That way you reduce the chance of any mishap, eh? Lots of anchoring room once you enter the bay; good holding and similar to Garrison Bay, depth wise.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Friday Harbor has a nice guest dock. You can call ahead for reservations. Long walk down dock. Floating head stop when open. Otherwise facilities are up at main building. Marina is right in town with good food options nearby or easy walk.
Yep, Friday Harbor food

339BE631-A38E-4915-B771-EDFF7832F9F1.jpeg

@jssailem found this place when most of the town was closed due to snow.

Dec 25, 2000
When entering Fishermans Bay, I favor the SW side of the channel, leaving the rock to my port side. Seems to have a bit more clearance.

May 16, 2015
C&C 37 28127 Port Madison, Washington
Sold the house in Portland and now calling our boat in Fisherman Bay, Lopez home.

Live slow, sail fast.

Dec 25, 2000
Nice home port, Peter. Certainly more laid back than Portland. Did you sail your boat up or by truck?

May 16, 2015
C&C 37 28127 Port Madison, Washington
Sirius has been in the Sound waiting for us to get our act together. Sailed up from Poulsbo last week.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hi Peter, so Poulsbo was your previous homeport? Pouslbo is a very nice marina and cordial yacht club.

Dec 25, 2000
What is your sail plan from Mystery Bay to Fishermans Bay? Going to head for Middle Channel?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Got into Friday Harbor at about 1430hrs and met up with a friend for a couple hours. The current was killing us once we got out of the Strait. Got some good sailing from there to Deer Harbor. On the hook for tonight then we head to Stewart Island for a hike to the lighthouse then staying at Sucia. Next we are heading south and going to stay somewhere between Orcas and Lopez then heading home
On the hook at Deer Harbor. Mines on the left

C3417D33-3095-4691-B4D3-B3076B58F06B.jpeg

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Mike, if you anchor in Reid Harbor, dingy to the head of the bay and walk Reid Harbor Road on your way to the light house. It will take you by the school house, which is worth a stop. There is a small museum of sorts that has articles and photos of how the island was settled. The light house may or may not be open.