Summer in the Salish Sea

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
This year with the border remaining closed, we plan to leave Everett around July 22nd and head south. We don't yet know where we will be on any given day, but we have about a month. What plans do you have? It's fun to meet others from SBO.

Ken

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
What plans do you have? It's fun to meet others from SBO.
Ken
Im In the process of moving to Charleston SC and should be set up before August . I plan to do one more overnight on my lake in Alabama before I leave. Once in Charleston I’ll have an entirely new set of destinations to explore so I’m rather stoked about it. I’ve done coastal cruising as a tourist a week each summer but I’ve never had the opportunity to live it. So my plan is to get set up then start exploring my new sailing grounds... find a group of like minded sailors... maybe get into weekend racing and a lot more weekend ghunkholing. I also plan to eat a lot more fish:beer:

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
This year with the border remaining closed, we plan to leave Everett around July 22nd and head south. We don't yet know where we will be on any given day, but we have about a month. What plans do you have? It's fun to meet others from SBO.

Ken
Two summers ago after clearing customs in Roche Harbor we spent the next 8 weeks cruising clear down to Olympia and back. Utilizing your WA State Park permit, yacht club reciprocals and your many anchorages we had a blast. Amongst the many highlites was a stop at Bells Harbour to attend a Blue Jays Mariners game. A memorable 2 months. Not going to happen this year.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Two summers ago after clearing customs in Roche Harbor we spent the next 8 weeks cruising clear down to Olympia and back. Utilizing your WA State Park permit, yacht club reciprocals and your many anchorages we had a blast. Amongst the many highlites was a stop at Bells Harbour to attend a Blue Jays Mariners game. A memorable 2 months. Not going to happen this year.
The South Sound is overlooked and very nice.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Keep us Puget Sounders apprised of your plans. We're hoping to be out as much as possible, but my GF is working way too much these days and her parents are elderly and need more regular attention. This has cut down on our ability to make definitive plans, but do plan on some August cruising. So stay in touch here.
Brad:cool:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Wait! It's summer? C'mon, you're pullin' my leg! I felt snow flurries this morning. :)

Have a great time, we'll surely miss you, but am very pleased we had the times together that we did. And hope to do again, asap.

I heard there's this (gasp!) book about places you can go...even without a personal guide...:beer::beer::beer:

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA

Ken
A month sounds good! Head south until you run into land, then turn around and head home... ;) We're focusing on the south sound, several days to a week or more at a time this year.

Large quantity reprovisioning isn't the easiest thing to accomplish in the south sound... the Bayview Thriftway is an easy walk from Percival Landing in Olympia. We are in Tacoma at the Foss Harbor Marina, great people there, the most helpful of any marina staff that I've had experience with, perhaps they could help with provisioning logistics if contacted ahead of time (if they can't, contact me, we can help run down supplies if necessary). They have a marina store for essentials and live-aboard convenience items. Downtown Tacoma is a nice place to spend some time in a "normal" year... the Foss Waterway has several marinas, museums, restaurants and municipal docks within about a mile and a half stretch. There is also a relative concentration of amenities at the Point Defiance/Tacoma Yacht Club area, but the distances between options are greater out there.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread. We'll be out and exploring (based on the "Gunkholing" the south Puget Sound book) all summer. I have a list of more than a dozen places that I'd like to check out. We're trying to use this year to learn, practice, and become more adventurous for next summer. :)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Finally opening up a lot more north of the border. After staying close to home for the beginning of the summer we have at last gotten away. A visit to Princess Louisa, Butchart Gardens and Newcastle Island and now headed up to the Broughtons. In Comox for the weekend before heading further north.

Jan 5, 2017
DDA8B7A6-7FBA-4B76-B6B7-1601A879E12C.jpeg At Russel Island Marine Park, Fulford Harbour

F88A085B-25DF-4E60-BAC5-64BC0063FE31.jpeg Mooring Balls in Butchart Cove and dinghy dock to the gardens

SunkenGarden.jpeg Part of the sunken garden. I can rotate pics on my laptop but the IPad is over my head!

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
before heading further north.
I am onboard with you Michael. I have had enough of putzing about the lower end of the Strait of Georgia over the past 3 months. We will be our way north to Desolation and beyond starting tomorrow. Absolutely respecting the smaller communities and islands space. Definitely a different time. We still miss sailing and our friends below the 49th parallel.

Jan 5, 2017
May see you up here Len. We will be here in Comox until Monday then head to Taku. Boat name?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So you have been locked up on the island for so long that you are giving your beers names?

I have heard guys in bars cry into their beer. But usually because they lost their job or their girlfriend.

Oh my. Is that Canadian Cannibalism when the bar tender cries “Last call, drink up”!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
A month sounds good! Head south until you run into land, then turn around and head home... ;) We're focusing on the south sound, several days to a week or more at a time this year.

Large quantity reprovisioning isn't the easiest thing to accomplish in the south sound... the Bayview Thriftway is an easy walk from Percival Landing in Olympia. We are in Tacoma at the Foss Harbor Marina, great people there, the most helpful of any marina staff that I've had experience with, perhaps they could help with provisioning logistics if contacted ahead of time (if they can't, contact me, we can help run down supplies if necessary). They have a marina store for essentials and live-aboard convenience items. Downtown Tacoma is a nice place to spend some time in a "normal" year... the Foss Waterway has several marinas, museums, restaurants and municipal docks within about a mile and a half stretch. There is also a relative concentration of amenities at the Point Defiance/Tacoma Yacht Club area, but the distances between options are greater out there.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread. We'll be out and exploring (based on the "Gunkholing" the south Puget Sound book) all summer. I have a list of more than a dozen places that I'd like to check out. We're trying to use this year to learn, practice, and become more adventurous for next summer. :)
Thanks for the note. Most of our family is in the Olympia area so provisions there won't be a problem. It does make a great place to go.
Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well Stu, that would make it a different experience.

It calls to mind the poets message, ”Drink to me only with thine eyes, And I will pledge with mine; Or leave a kiss but in the cup And I'll not look for wine.”

I am left to wonder. Is 3 safer or more of a challenge?