• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

SubTropical Storm Lorenzo Wets UK

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The newest West African Spin off begins as Autumn arrives.

This storm should track into the Central Atlantic and become Fish Storm.:)

Jim...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The heat has broken here in North and Central Florida. Humberto gave us gift as its winds helped proppel a cold front to slip through very early in the season. Our temperatures have been dipping into the high 60's and low 70's and our winds have returned; usually when our temperatures approach the mid 60's the incidence of storms making landfall is reduced. This first front got here about 3 weeks earlier than usual. Our highs are still warm in the high 80's but the oppressing 96F days seem to have left us. Still waiting for a 2nd front to dip our lows into the low 60's but for now we can breathe easier regarding storms. Reports up North of early foliage changes seem to confirm that changes are setting in.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It was a very bearably 84 degrees here today - and humidity was down. I was actually cool getting out of the pool. Sun is still strong. But it feels like we've turned a corner. As for the Norte, I used to love tuning into the weather forecasts for Mt. Washington while I was cruising in Rhode Island. In late August or September they would be starting to report below freezing temps and even snow. It was almost comforting in my bunk knowing relief from summer heat was on the way.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Welcome to the North Pacific HIGH. John @jssailem and I have been tracking the "shedding off" that have been pushing 90% of the Atlantic storms out to sea.

Dorian snuck by.:banghead:

NPacificHigh.jpeg

We have noticed high speed Jet Stream that slices off a Shedding HIGH.
That Jet Stream dipping brings Cold Canadian Air with it. As the Jet Stream pulses, so do the Shedding HIGHs.

We see that this not normal for the time of the year.
We believe we know why, but don't want to make peoples Eyes glaze over in SBOo_O

Basic Answer is Equatorial Pacific Ocean is several degrees COOLER this year, and the reason El Niño quit.
Jim...

PS: El Niño quitting means less moisture , means lower Humidity, means colder winter.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In reading back a little I realize I didn’t post an earlier message which would make my last post make sense: Some people equate the size of the acorn mast with the severity of the upcoming winter.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The heat has returned to North and Central Florida after that very early Cold Front that came down. Today was 94F and the humidity is creeping up with a shift in the winds. With Karen looping and dissipating we have no menaces from storms in the next two weeks which should bring us to mid-October when we may start getting some stronger cold fronts. Pretty soon our Sailing Season will start in the gulf as the winds become stronger and more dependable.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Lorenzo is a beast with no one to bite.

United Kingdom may get a taste of Lorenzo on Monday, but cooler waters prevail.

Jim...