Stuffing Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Kathol

How do I re-pack my stuffing box. Or re-tighten the Box so it doesn't leak so much

G

Gordon S.

2 guys and wrenches

If your access is like my '88 27, you can only get one arm in the shaft space from the sail locker and one from the quarter berth on the other side. The boat yard puts a worker on each side, each with a very large special adjustable wrench to loosen the lock nut and hold the packing nut from turning inside the hose. Once you crack this lock you can turn the packing nut tighter or back it out to re-pack the gland. I could not do it alone. The yard guys tightened the gland about 1/4 turn and it has been OK since. Note: it does NOT constantly drip and it is easy to rotate the shaft by hand. It has given no trouble this season.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Doing it by yourself

Rob's done it by himself before (my boat is has an outboard so I'm clueless). You really just need two postitive action channel locks (crescent wrenches would do in a pinch). There's a brass collar with a small brass nut right up against it. They may look like one unit but aren't. Using one wrench, hold onto the collar & with the other, loosen the nut about three turns. Then you're able to tighten the collar slightly. You only want it to drip about once every ten seconds with it running and about half that at rest. Now you're ready to tighten the nut. Do not LOOSEN the collar if you're in the water, only tighten it!!!!!!!!!!!!! You shouldn't have to do this every year. A properly maintained packing gland can last for 10 years! LaDonna

D

DON

BEEN THERE ......

I changed my packing with the boat in the water. Contrary to what you might think, water does not gush in. Only a stream about the size of a wood pencil. The bilge pump will cycle on about every 4-5 minutes. It did, however, make me nervous the first time. It does take two people, as only one arm will go in at a time. Before you change packing, see if you can tighten it. Remember, a little turn goes a long way and usually hand tight is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.