Strippers

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Send me a PM with your email address and I can forward to you a list of salvage companies/boat resale companies I contacted for a replacement mast after last years hurricanes. Also a +1 on Boaters Resale Shop in Kemah. Good luck hunting. Jerry

Jun 7, 2021
Twister 28 Pyefleet
I know this an old thread, but I had exactly this problem and, as this was the only discussion I found anywhere online, I thought I’d share a solution…
The Lewmar Wavegrip 16st winches were discontinued in the early 1990s. The strippers are impossible to source and Lewmar charge around £200 to recreate them.
However all is not lost!
The strippers for the newer Lewmar 16st Ocean Winch (available for around £10 on Ebay etc) can be easily adapted. Their diameter fits perfectly however they are too tall and the spacer doesn’t reach the chrome feeder arm.
It’s a simple task to file the height down – I used a sander attached to my drill, it took a few moments. Then you simply need to find/order a firm piece of plastic a couple of mm thick. Cut a section out that you can superglue/epoxy to the top of your Ocean stripper and ensure that it will reach the groove in the chrome feeder arm. This doesn’t have to be hugely precise – it just needs to ensure the stripper stays put while the winch rotates. In a sense you’re actually improving the stripper as you’re making even less space for rope to get jammed. Obviously, check it thoroughly. You can easily remove the necessary top sections of the winch and take them home to do this on your kitchen table.
Well done. You just saved £200.
Captain Crisp

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum. Nice to have a Brit join us wayward Colonials.:poke:

Interesting modification. Do you have any pictures? Please share.

Jun 4, 2007
Gulfstar 37 Noank, CT
Two years ago I discovered Tony at Winchspares.com located in the UK. Tony was quite helpful and had a handful of parts left for our 1981 ST48 Wavegrip winches. I purchased what he had left at a very reasonable price. Not sure if he is still in business, but you can try. Winch Spares - sales@winchspares.com