Stray current in the water

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
A friend of mine has found stray current coming from their boat into the water at the starboard engine. This is Lake Erie, so fresh water.
When shore power is not connected, there is no stray current.
When shore power IS connected but their main double breaker is off, there is still the stray current.
When the ground is disconnected from the starboard engine, the stray current goes away.
This suggests to me there is some leakage from hot or neutral to ground and there is a bad connection in the ground circuit somewhere on their boat or possibly in the shore power.

They asked me to help them find it because I am a gearhead. My plan is to take a good volt meter and test the voltage between various ground connections and a "real" ground, perhaps a lead in the water near the problem? Hopefully I'll find zero voltage until I pass the bad spot when I'll see microvoltage. Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Any other tips on how to nail down their problem?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Do they have galvanic isolator installed? If they don't sounds like they need one.

Not connected to shore power and no stray current suggests the shore power ground is the culprit. How much voltage are they measuring?

I think the AC ground and DC- negative should only be connected at one place which could explain why there is no voltage leak from the port engine.

The problem may not be within their boat, except perhaps for the absence of a GI. The classic path for galvanic corrosion is 2 boats docked in the same marina and on shore power. A circuit is formed between 2 dissimilar metals through the water into the AC ground and on to the next boat with an AC ground connection. Interrupting the circuit with a Galvanic Isolator or an isolation transformer takes the boat out of the circuit.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you want to test for stray current in the water, you should use a Corrosion Reference Electrode

For boat circuits a good digital volt meter will help provide the info regarding connections. Note it may be an AC source not just a DC source.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Thanks, I'll ask those questions. BTW, the stray current was identified by the clubs groundskeeper who periodically checks around our boats for stray currents with some device.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I bought one of the reference electrodes. Helped to check my exposed metal thruhulls and shaft.

Additionally, when my diver slips beneath the surface, he’ll share it there is a tingle in the water.