Strait of Juan de Fuca

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Well you guys got me to open my Maps app while reading this thread because I am so unfamiliar with the geography. I'd go for some of that corned beef over the seaweed salad too!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
45 plus days. We are going to need to talk Les into putting a big fire in the smoker. Raid Costco for the beef. Maybe a bottle or two of wine to keep the cook happy while the smoke does it’s magic.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't think my Dr. would approve of me even looking at that! But I can't un-see it.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Oh no. Way back when, I did a short visit on the USS Enterprise. 24/7 you could go to the mess and make yourself a PB&J sandwich to get by till next chow.
It is a staple.
Yeah, I know. But usually we have to watch out for the bread usage, where there may be only 18 slices per loaf in multigrains. Maybe only two loaves aboard at a time, or a loaf and a pack of Hoagie buns. IMHO use bread for tuna, or roast beef & Swiss/provolone sandwiches for lunches. Hoagies work well for that too. One full sammich per day per crew of two is 16 slices in four days. Another day, and that loaf is gone. A late night PB&J snack takes your sandwich lunch away!

We use fig bars, apples, & cookies for snacks. You can by individually wrapped fig bars in bulk at stores like WinnCo. Bring a big bag of ‘em. Just sweet enough to satisfy the ‘ole late night sweet tooth. Couple of fig bars and a cup of hot tea or coffee, and you’re good for at least another on watch! If that’s not enough, add a few apple slices, etc. Just don’t eat the lunch bread!:)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
BTW. Provisioning in the Canadian “out back” is more challenging than one expects, at least for me it has been. Many of our favorite US brands are not stocked. One example is Post cereals but there are many. Just so happens I eat Grapenuts for breakfast if we have an early departure. Could not get it there in the markets we visited. Some kind of New Zealand-like non-food is all they had in that department. Most, nearly all it seems, of the produce in the local markets is organic. So generally fewer choices, more expensive. They don’t sell booze in the food markets. If there is not a “separate” liquor store section there, then one has to find a full-on liquor store.

Probably the most bizarre thing I found is that they may not, usually do not, sell diesel engine oil at the fuel stations. So can’t depend on finding it just anywhere as here in the States. Also, water may be rationed if there is any available at all. Up top near the Broughtons and Port McNeil, and along the way, there are a lot of BIG power boats in the “resort” marinas getting fuel and trying to take on water, etc. I think we were shut off at around 200 liters—about 50 gal—in Gorge Harbor. Seems like a lot, but for reference me Bavaria has two 150-liter tanks. We also had a crew of four on that trip. I think four crew use more than twice what a crew of two does.:doh: On a different trip we were rationed at Heriot Bay. A couple of times I recall we could get no water at parks in the Gulf Islands. So, I’d recommend taking a lot more than one normally would consider doing. Might even be worth putting on a temporary bladder.

Probably the best “last two” chances to re-provision the boat b/f entering the remote areas beyond Desolation Sound are at Campbell River going up that side, and Powell River on the other side. Powell River would be more difficult b/c the town is a bit far to walk to if that is what one is doing. Plus it’s definitely up-hill about half the distance. But you can at least get the job done. Campbell River has a much more interesting waterfront area, very nice actually; the better stop-over for sights. Both have ferry terminals. Neither has anchoring nearby that I saw, but have not looked closely at the area around CR.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Those are very interesting observations @Kings Gambit . I guess I'm so used to them I've never noticed. We normally provision at Comox and then at Port McNeil or Port Hardy before going over the top. Water is a problem on all the smaller islands but we have never had a problem on Vancouver Island itself. I always have oil and filters for a couple of oil changes on board when we start a long trip.
P.S. there is good anchorage across from Campbell River on the Quadra Island side of Discovery.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
From earlier discussions, it seemed that folks might wish to “snake up” through Yaculta Rapids, etc., heading to Johnstone. So, I was referring mostly to that area not on VI. I have no actual boating experience in BC beyond the Echo Bay area. But, I would expect water at the marinas on VI. Thanks for pointing out that distinction.:)

The situation with the diesel oil arose in a charter boat that was burning oil but there was no oil aboard. The fuel dock at Secret Cove had no diesel motor oil. We went up to Garden Bay area. Called four marinas while standing off the entrance before we found [the] one in there that sold the oil, so went in to get it. A tiny place; no room to tie the 50-ft charter we were in. Not even room to drop off a crew. So, we had to anchor and deploy the dink & engine to go in and get it for us.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
it seemed that folks might wish to “snake up” through Yaculta Rapids, etc., heading to Johnstone.
That's the way we like to go as well. We do stock the boat pretty well before leaving home and replenish when we can. Bev does make fresh bread from time to time.
You'll have to get that boat of yours up here for some longer cruises. I know you've been thinking about it for a couple of years.

Jan 5, 2017
I'll have to start keeping an eye on that. On long trips I know I'll end up doing at least 1 oil change so I take lots so I have what I want.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I'll have to start keeping an eye on that. On long trips I know I'll end up doing at least 1 oil change so I take lots so I have what I want.
Yeah. It was a surprise. I reckon most folks ARE well supplied with their own oil so perhaps that is why it is not widely stocked. The charter boat should have been supplied and I should have confirmed it there b/f we left Granville Island. Didn’t think of it. Just from routine habit of checking the dipstick each morning b/f firing her up did we discover it, but not before we left. I just assumed the boat would be ready to go. Fairly new boat w/78 hp Volvo with hardly a speck of grime on it. Who would know? It was a rather alarming amount missing, so I figure somewhere earlier a charter crew used all of the oil aboard to keep the engine supplied, but had not reported the situation to the charter company, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If the diesel had gotten damaged, we all know the ensuing scenario. I say: “It’s your job to have the boat ready to go and properly supplied. It’s your fault.” They say: “When you leave here it’s your boat and your job to take care of her, etc. So, it’s your fault.” Who wins? (I think I know.)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I remember now. I called to ask where the spare oil was stowed b/c we could not find any. I looked where they said and there was none. So, they did not know about it. After the first two goose eggs near Garden Bay, I called back to tell ‘em I wasn’t finding any place to buy some and that I wasn’t taking the boat on to Heriot Bay and beyond w/o spare oil. So, if I could not find it in Garden Bay that morning they would have to fetch me some, which they agreed to do, etc.

Last edited: