Strait of Juan de Fuca

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Sounds like someone didn't do a good job of getting the boat ready. By the way, there is a good grocery/liquor store at Heriot Bay just up the road toward Taku.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
What was the topic of this thread? Oh yeah Juan de Fuca.:hijack:

I have crossed from Deception pass to the San Juan islands more times than I can count but that is Rosario Straight which has its own rep to deal with.

Mostly my experience in Juan de Fuca is in early May for the Round Whidbey Race and late August for the Northern Century Race. We have also made maybe a half dozen trips from Cattle Pass to Deception Pass at different times of the year.

Most of those trips were boring with a great desire for more wind. Almost all of those trips were done in the early hours of the day and the wind tends to increase as the day runs on. In reading the article on the two stranded boats I was struck by the lack of preparedness of both skippers.

Long before Ayeland Fling ran out of fuel, they should have changed plans and headed for Port Townsend where they could get shelter and fuel.

Pia arrived at Port Townsend at 10 a.m. and didn’t leave until 3 p.m. even though the “Marine forecasts were calling for gale-force winds of 35 knots, but not until the evening.”

On Pia, they commented that it was too rough to put on life jackets!!! WHAT!!! I never back out of my slip without having one on and anyone on deck is also required to wear one. Any time I am out on the Straights, I have my jack-lines rigged and lanyards on.

Going “from 5 knots of wind to 30 in 10 minutes” is not an extreme or sudden change that should be boat threatening. It is exactly what was forecast! That is plenty of time to reef and change the headsail to something smaller. His first response was to drop all sail (which were not even properly secured based on the photo of the boat on the rocks.) In my opinion one of the most dangerous situation on the water is a sailboat with no sail up in a gale and trying to “save yourself” with engine only. With no sail, you lose almost all ability to self-determine heading or course. It is a sailboat not a power boat! I found this quote most interesting. “Pia fell off, broadside to the wind, and started sailing under bare poles as the Coast Guard diver swam toward them.” The boat did better without them! I know the waters around Smith Island quite well and yes, there are lots of shoals. There is also plenty of deep water to either side which they should have been able to reach even with bare poles if they were using the wind rather than fighting it.

This is not an armchair option. While Juan de Fuca has not tested me, I have happily sailed upwind in the Strait of Georgia in 35-40 knot conditions and sailed several times with conditions in the high 40-knot range and have never had the Admireable say "don't ever do that again!". We know that if you venture more than a few miles from your home port you WILL encounter big wind sometimes. Note that I said “sailed”. In these conditions I always had some bit of sail out either double reefed main or highly reefed jib.

Jan 5, 2017
What was the topic of this thread? Oh yeah Juan de Fuca.
Yeah. Maybe a lot of this should have been in the "Circumnavigation of Vancouver Island" thread but we will all start and finish in Juan de Fuca. Most of my experience with Juan de Fuca has been the Barkley Sound to Victoria section.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great info KG. Campbell River is certainly on the route north. I have capacity, on my boat, 100 GL of water and 160GL of fuel. All of the guide stories talk about remoteness, water issues, fuel issues. One of the reasons I have started my planning/thinking about this adventure 8 months out. Not sure I have enough storage for 45 days. May have to adapt.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is all good. The thread started as an observation of lack of preparation and resultant consequences by 2 skippers in a water body that is challenging. Both were rescued by mariners who have experience and execute greater care in their actions on the water.

This body of water is easily accessible by boat owners on the Puget Sound. It is inviting and convenient to use as a route to enticing destinations. My point is, as a navigator or boat owner, we need to access the conditions both current and what may occur during a passage.

2 years ago I started out in the sunshine that makes Victoria such a beautiful city. Victoria is a bit sheltered in it's location. It is only 17 miles across to Port Angeles. 5 miles out the temps dropped a little, the breeze subsided a little and a fog appeared. It was sea fog. 25 yard viability on the water Blue sky and sunshine just above the mast, sea level plus 50 feet. How can you tell? I looked at a WEB cam located in Port Angeles. It at was at 100 feet above sea level in clear blue sky sunshine. You just never know what the Strait will give you.

So you prepare and adapt. To adapt you need to be aware. As Hayden observed 'striking all the sails' gave the Pia fewer resources to use to control his boat. A boat that should have been able to handle the conditions. This leads back to what is often say about blue water sailing. It is the crew that is maybe more important than the boat on ocean passages.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just so happens I eat Grapenuts for breakfast if we have an early departure.
Long story short, for the past 40+ years my breakfast consists of 2/3 cup of Northern Gold Almonds and Honey brand cereal (1725 Coast Meridian Road, Port Coquitlam BC, Canada) with a handful of raisins. Used to buy it by the bag, then box and now case. Winco carries it in their bulk food section for $1.62/lb. It fills me up and sustains me until midday, or longer. When I go for an extended cruise I provision two plus cases depending on time away. Fig bars come from Walmart. Best buy is their Great Value brand and just as good as the more popular brand names.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
I don't think my Dr. would approve of me even looking at that! But I can't un-see it.
The Australian National Health service researched its records, and found the difference in life expectancy between vegetarians and carnivores ,over 4 decades, is zero. So go eat real food, and enjoy!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
I avoid sailing into Campbell River . Haven't done in decades .Heriot May is much nicer, no tidal currents, good anchorage .Okisolo channlel for going north is much nicer, not much traffic, no 100 ft whirlpools, or 15 knot currents.
I finally convinced Heriot Bay and Gorge Harbour to carry diesel engine oil.
The "Strait of Want to Puka " is well named.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The only attractive anchoring place in or near Heriot Bay for us was in Rebecca Spit Marine Park, along the spit. But, we found there only a narrow zone of suitable depth and it was popular. In my opinion, although very scenic and fairly secure, difficult anchoring. I also remember seeing MANY boats anchored right in Heriot Bay which is one reason we chose the spit after refueling and topping off the water. As for Campbell River, I was thinking of reserving slips. I have not attempted anchoring there myself.

Jan 5, 2017
As for Campbell River, I was thinking of reserving slips. I have not attempted anchoring there myself.
I've never noticed much room to anchor there as well. Boat traffic would make it uncomfortable I think. Lots of little bays and coves on the Quadra Island side however. We've anchored there before and been very comfortable.