Storage ideas for H23.5

Aug 18, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Dania Beach, Florida
Has anyone done any modifications to better use the space under the cockpit for storage? There is a ton of room under there but anything in there will slide and bang around in seas or when heeling. I’m considering building dividers or some other type of storage security system. Has anyone already done it? Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Most people use that space for a berth.

Have you looked at the space under the V-berth? I am a big fan of cargo hammocks and have always had one or two in my boats. I have also had good experiences re-purposing trunk organizers (for cars).

1568904540259.png

I have a carabiner clip that I keep on the top of my hammock to "close" it a bit. That helps keep stuff from falling out.

I have had good results hanging trunk organizers along the hull in the V-berth as well

1568904749727.png

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Most people use that space for a berth.

Have you looked at the space under the V-berth? I am a big fan of cargo hammocks and have always had one or two in my boats. I have also had good experiences re-purposing trunk organizers (for cars).

I have had good results hanging trunk organizers along the hull in the V-berth as well
What are you using to hang these? Command hooks? Or are you screwing into the liner?
-Z

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On my H26 I have the cargo hammock connected to the port bulkhead just forward of the head using a command strip hook and the other end goes to the mast compression post.

The trunk organizer idea I used on a MacGregor 22 and in that case I through bolted with SS screws. You probably would not want to do that..:( so some other means would have to be developed.

stowage2.jpg

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
On my 23.5 I use a trunk organizer to store stuff, as well as two military A-3 type duffels for the spinnaker rig and another with a bunch of extra and old lines. The mattress pads are in storage. I would be claustrophobic trying to sleep down there. I use a thin non-slip pad like those used under carpets to keep everything in place. Works pretty well. I also use two of the hammock nets in the main area, secured with suction cup hooks. Very handy.

I would love to be able to string a net across aft sleeping area, but there is just no good way to secure it. I dont think its wise to screw or drill into the hull.