• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Stopping Leaks with the Magic of Butyl Tape

Jan 19, 2010
Hunter 26 Lake Martin AL
Nice job, Smitty.

You just solved 99% of the problems sailors have with those @#$@@ Lewmar hatches. :eek::eek::eek:

You should patent it. :dance::dance::dance:

Lewmar will NOT be happy :neutral::neutral::neutral: that it's such a simple thing to do. :):):)
:plus:

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I rebedded that front hatch with Bed-It-Butyl on my 310 and also on a friends 309. It worked fine; we just unscrewed the hatch, popped them off, cleaned them off, then used a couple of layers of butyl tape to make sure we have a good seal all the way around and re-installed. They used some cheap butyl tape at the factory and on the 309's it liquefied a little. It has been a few years and has not leaked since. I seem to recall we just tightened them up once and were done.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser Portland OR, moored EVERETT WA
It is an old thread @JK_Boston_Catalina310 but an interesting fix. Having just installed a Lewmar hatch on my boat last week... I will keep the Butyl idea for possible future leaks. I did take the hinges off and there was the same foam gasket under the hinge on a new hatch.

We used butyl to seal the hatch to the deck. So far after the rain from the weekend storm. No reported leaks.

That is the butyl tape Bed-It Butyl Tape box at my foot. Love that stuff.
IMG_8005.jpg

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
@SawyerCurt first line "I'm going to share a project I did, because I don't think of myself as the most handy guy". Now hold my good microbrew beer while I undo my rigging, remove my chain plate and redo it better than the factory. Hahahahaha

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser Portland OR, moored EVERETT WA
@JK_Boston_Catalina310
I could not through bolt in all of the holes. SO I through bolted in 4 of the slots along the hinges and 2 bolts on the opposite side. All others were screwed into the wood deck (plywood in my case). Counter sinked the glass, and put a cone of Butyl on each screw before I screwed it in. I also laid a thick layers of butyl all the way around the flange. So far no leaks reported during the first night of rain.