• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

    Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

    Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

    Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Stopping Leaks with the Magic of Butyl Tape

Jan 19, 2010
Hunter 26 Charleston
Nice job, Smitty.

You just solved 99% of the problems sailors have with those @#$@@ Lewmar hatches. :eek::eek::eek:

You should patent it. :dance::dance::dance:

Lewmar will NOT be happy :neutral::neutral::neutral: that it's such a simple thing to do. :):):)
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I rebedded that front hatch with Bed-It-Butyl on my 310 and also on a friends 309. It worked fine; we just unscrewed the hatch, popped them off, cleaned them off, then used a couple of layers of butyl tape to make sure we have a good seal all the way around and re-installed. They used some cheap butyl tape at the factory and on the 309's it liquefied a little. It has been a few years and has not leaked since. I seem to recall we just tightened them up once and were done.
  • Like
Likes: JRT
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser Portland OR, moored EVERETT WA
It is an old thread @JK_Boston_Catalina310 but an interesting fix. Having just installed a Lewmar hatch on my boat last week... I will keep the Butyl idea for possible future leaks. I did take the hinges off and there was the same foam gasket under the hinge on a new hatch.

We used butyl to seal the hatch to the deck. So far after the rain from the weekend storm. No reported leaks.

That is the butyl tape Bed-It Butyl Tape box at my foot. Love that stuff.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
@SawyerCurt first line "I'm going to share a project I did, because I don't think of myself as the most handy guy". Now hold my good microbrew beer while I undo my rigging, remove my chain plate and redo it better than the factory. Hahahahaha
  • Like
Likes: JRT
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser Portland OR, moored EVERETT WA
I could not through bolt in all of the holes. SO I through bolted in 4 of the slots along the hinges and 2 bolts on the opposite side. All others were screwed into the wood deck (plywood in my case). Counter sinked the glass, and put a cone of Butyl on each screw before I screwed it in. I also laid a thick layers of butyl all the way around the flange. So far no leaks reported during the first night of rain.