Rebedding Project

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
I'm going to share a project I did, because I don't think of myself as the most handy guy but I manged to successfully rebed a chainplate on my C310. I've had a leak around one of the big chainplates that is bolted to the starboard bulkhead down below, so this year I decided to delay going in the water so I could get some projects done, once of which was this effort.

In trying to figure out where to begin, I read this article (thanks to Jesse!):
https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/

So I purchased Bed-It Butyl Tape and used it for the job. First, I had to take all the bolts off.
2016-04-16_144619333_44255_iOS.jpg 2016-04-16_144627853_F68E3_iOS.jpg
Next, I had to pull the bar up through the deck, which is when I discovered some type of silicone sealant had been used by one of the 2 prior owners.
2016-04-16_144905541_DE46C_iOS.jpg 2016-04-16_144910011_8BAD4_iOS.jpg
So I cleaned and scraped and got it all cleared out. I used Acetone to clean the screws and the bar and the plate. In this photo I was about 50% of the way done with scraping off the old sealant.
2016-04-16_161020149_BD116_iOS.jpg
Then I just followed the process from the web site I linked to above, wrapping the screws top and bottom, and putting buytl tape under the plate that screws into the deck (there are no washers or nuts for this small plate, the screws just go into the deck. I then took several wraps with the tape around the bar where it goes through the plate and made sure it was nice and sealed. I then continued with the slow process of taking a lot of time (24 hours) to slowly work the screws into the deck. (I just realized I don't have a picture of the final result, I'll have to get one this weekend). Really, the web site procedure is easy to follow and made this job a snap.
The end result is that right after I completed the job I left the country and wasn't on the boat for nearly 3 weeks, and the last week it rained almost every day. When I got on the boat I checked where the leak had been and it was completely dry! I also took a hose and ran water all around the chainplate and then checked again and it remained dry! I was very happy that it worked!
My mast will go up on Sunday and I'll see if everything still holds for the season. Based on the results so far, I highly recommend the buytl tape and the website instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Nicely done! High quality butyl tape is amazing stuff. Did you consider sealing the deck core with epoxy, so even if it does leak the core won't get wet?

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Very very nice - - - how much time total do you think you had in the project?
I'd guess 90 minutes total. Maybe as long as 2 hours as I did try to clean up the screws and the plate with Acetone before I put everything back together.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Curt Sawyer
Very nice........ and thanks for taking the time out of your life for posting all those pictures.

Bill Still once said ...a picture is worth 10 k words.

paulj
:hook2: