stonypoint ny to littleneck bay-newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
This is one of the few safe anchorage areas I know of on the Hudson near us: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Bowline Point, NY&aql=&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
The little bay behind Bowline Point park just south of Haverstraw. I hear it is best to enter it by heading into it while facing NW but in a M26 S you should have no problems.
That is a neat little anchorage, thanks, it is noted for our trip,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Sep 29, 2008
Macgregor V25 -
There is also a safe anchorage at Newburgh, right behind Pollepel Island, which is also known as Bannerman's Island in honor of the arsenal that sits on it. The arsenal, which looks like a Scottish castle, is falling apart after being destroyed by fire and subsequent explosions many years ago. You have to enter the anchorage from the south and exit the same way. The water at the north side of the island gets very shallow very quickly. It is cool watching the sun set in back of the castle, but beware at night...the island is supposedly haunted by indian ghosts.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
There is also a safe anchorage at Newburgh, right behind Pollepel Island, which is also known as Bannerman's Island in honor of the arsenal that sits on it. The arsenal, which looks like a Scottish castle, is falling apart after being destroyed by fire and subsequent explosions many years ago. You have to enter the anchorage from the south and exit the same way. The water at the north side of the island gets very shallow very quickly. It is cool watching the sun set in back of the castle, but beware at night...the island is supposedly haunted by indian ghosts.
Thanks for that one also. I found it and also read some about it. Looks like the Hudson could be really interesting. We will look forward to it,

Sum and Ruth

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Sep 29, 2008
Macgregor V25 -
While you are on the Hudson, be sure to stop in Kingston. Head up the Rondout Creek at the lighthouse and stop in at the Hudson River Maritime Museum. Lots of cool stuff related to the history of the river and the boats that cruised it. You can get a cheap slip at the City of Kingston docks which are right next to the museum and there are several great restaurants right there if you are looking for a night off the boat. My marina is just up the creek from the city docks...it is a great, and safe, place to hang out for a while. Beware of Newburgh, however, there has been a lot of gang-related violence there over the past few years. Stick to the castle side of the river in that neck of the woods. Once you get past Newburgh, it is safe sailing from there all the way to Albany or NYC.

Apr 15, 2009
Hunter 27 beacon ny
Two days unless you can time ebb and flood tide from stoney point just right. I motored with six hp in H27 from Beacon to 79th st BB in six hoursl last Oct. BTW what little anchorage by the Battery? NY yacht club? Spent winter in Weehawken NJ Linoln Harbor ..very nice..can stay there also..cheers frank Beacon NY

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Two days unless you can time ebb and flood tide from stoney point just right. I motored with six hp in H27 from Beacon to 79th st BB in six hoursl last Oct. BTW what little anchorage by the Battery? NY yacht club? Spent winter in Weehawken NJ Linoln Harbor ..very nice..can stay there also..cheers frank Beacon NY
I marked that one down also. A little pricey for us westerns use to anchoring free, but for a night and the view of NYC would probably be well worth it. Thanks :)!

I don't know if digitek718 is still following this, but I am and marking all of these locations you guys are talking about on the charts with SeaClear. Good info and I enjoy researching the places you guys are recommending.

Any more from Albany down or for that matter any favorite stops/anchorages or slips on the Erie Canal?

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Salty

Dec 2, 2008
Catalina 390 14 Perth Amboy, NJ
Yes. The river flows both ways all the way up to Albany and is considered an estuary. Ebb tide is almost always stronger then flood as you would expect for a river. Navigating against the current in the Hudson can cost you up to 2 1/2 knots but usually less.

Stu is correct of course about the currents being dynamic. The flood at the Battery starts before the ebb in the East River is done. 2 hours later the entire East River is flooding NE into LI Sound. And yes Sum, the current in the East River is either NE or SW. The best way to visualize this is with the current charts for NY Harbor & LI Sound that are found in the Eldridge manual (even an old copy will still inform) which show the current speeds for every hour of the flood and ebb. I couldn't find a similar reference on line but here is a link for the Eldridge: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|9489|38715|803256&id=1303801

I have gone around Manhattan a few times and concur with what others have posted. Coming from Stonypoint I would stop for the night at Liberty Landing Marina: http://www.libertylandingmarina.com/marina/rates.php If you do it before May 15th the slip rate is $2.50/ft and $4/ft afterwards. The next day head up the East River 2 hours after high tide at 'The Battery' and you will be surprised how fast you reach the LI Sound.
It is really a fun trip but I can't stress how useful the Eldridge (or equivalent) Tide & Pilot book is when planning a trip like this.
Enjoy.

CalebD,
You meant head up the East River 2 hours after Low Tide at the Battery to catch the flood up the East River instead of high tide right? I just wanted to make sure I have all my ducks line up because I've been studying the current patterns in preporation for my maiden trip to the Hudson in June. Thanks for all the info especially the Eldridge manual info. It would come in very handy.

Thanks

Salty

Status
Not open for further replies.