Still outraged and need to vent

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
It just got worse here. The places around the harbor are now charging $10 to park. The employees are having to park in a city lot down the street and take a shuttle in to work, convenient.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
the message falls on the wrong (powerless) ears,
They are not powerless, they can complain to management, and quit. (Haven't you heard of the service industry labor shortage this year?) . Management can change their policy or suffer reduced business due to inadequate staff. Message received.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I agree with the OP, I would be outraged, too, to see an unexpected mooring charge of $35, and entire day's stay, for my lunch stop. I would have been tempted to say, O.K., we'll stay for 24 hours!

I always ask (though I usually anchor), "can I tie up for an hour, or for lunch, etc.?" I can't recall, exactly, what kind of response people get around where I cruise when they ask this question, say in Edgartown, Cuttyhunk, Newport, Block Island, etc. I'll pay more attention this year. Places I go have mooring fields that are too crowded for my taste, and usually available anchoring, and free dinghy tie-ups (and free showers in many places, free fresh water, free pump-out).

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
$18/day dinghy dock in West Palm Beach.
Have you ever noticed how everything is free at a cheap motel/hotel, but step up to high-end 5 stars and suddenly you can't have a towel at the pool without an added fee. As if the $400/ night wasn't enough to cover everything and make a profit.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
Used to be that way with WI-FI. Free at Motel 6 but an additional charge at high dollar Hiltons.

Feb 11, 2017
Higher end businesses charge more because they can. If you prefer to stay at the Motel 6, you can. That’s the beauty of choice. Obviously, if no one chose the Hilton, they would change their ways. I, for one, stay at Hilton’s rather than Motel 6’s. It is my choice, and I will not criticize the other choices. Again, it is my choice to make.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Used to be that way with WI-FI. Free at Motel 6 but an additional charge at high dollar Hiltons.
You point is valid but its a different business case. High-end hotels survive with that model due to business travelers on an expense report. Signing for parking, wifi, and breakfast is fine with them as long as the boss signs the ER and the hotel is close to the meeting.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You point is valid but its a different business case. High-end hotels survive with that model due to business travelers on an expense report. Signing for parking, wifi, and breakfast is fine with them as long as the boss signs the ER and the hotel is close to the meeting.
Most companies make deals with hotel chains, and end up with rates that are significantly lower than "retail," and include all of the amenities that are usually charged for: WiFi, breakfast, newspaper delivery, etc. Plus, you can join their loyalty clubs for free and get more, like loaner workout clothes and shoes, for example (Fairmont).

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I just say "bada book bada boom! (Don't know anything about those $400/night places)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My wife went to a lot of conferences so we are Marriott platinum members. I don't think that will last much longer now, but it did give us some free amenities and room upgrades, including the VIP lounge access where they had free cookies:) YUM!

Still, my comment is more an observation. The criticism is only implied.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Seems to me the larger places that host conferences and such offer free wifi and other amenities to sweeten the bid for the contract to host the event.
If you are not there as part of a group asking for it will often get you the perk.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We have a couple of times entertained the prospect of a party barge and a big-a$$ flag and setting up a "mystery meat" stand out on the lake. Of course the idea came from Mr. Bourdain (rip) when he was in NYNY, but the downside is, no wifi, and who the sam heck wants to be cooking dogs when there's sailing to do?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
ditto on Rick's comments. Port Clyde general store has a flat rate mooring policy -it's $35 when you touch a mooring, whether or not you stop for 10 minutes to buy supplies or eat at the place or stay overnight. Not very friendly or smart IMHO, but it's their mooring. Tennants is a much better place but Pt Clyde may be more convenient for your route. on the west side of Muscongus bay round pond is a much nicer place, too - if you can wait (E-W) to stop after you cross that ugly bay or (W-E)

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Hoooo...the east coast atrocities....Don’t tell anyone, but the left side doesn’t seem to have all this falderall...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I was just down in Port Clyde, yesterday (by road). I've stayed in the harbor but frankly, I give it a pass,...when I'm passing by boat. It's one of the more touristy places along this stretch of the coast, and I don't find it very interesting after being turned off, a few times. Walking around on the public road yesterday, a fella informed us we were on his private property, which was a surprise(you wouldn't have known as it looked like public road).

We anchored off the lee of Hupper Island which forms the harbor of Port Clyde, for an overnight a few years back.

When we asked where we might go ashore, Steve Thomas (in a dinghy) of 'This Old House' former fame, pompously informed us, "Hupper is a private island!!!" He had a house on Hupper. This was particularly annoying because we are (were,...) acquaintance's of his. :) No problem, we took the dinghy ashore at the public landing on Port Clyde.

Otherwise, it's a great place to catch the ferry to Monhegan (which is a gem of a place).

There are several great anchorages nearby including Maple Juice Cove (I've yet to anchor there), just up the St. George, to name one.

We particularly like the natural anchorage off Burnt and Little Burnt Island. You can go ashore to the beach and it is snug and picturesque. Many other islands in the area offer options to anchor with far better access to the Gulf if you're coming in or out.

And if you're looking for food, we had dinner at Luke's Lobster in Tenants Harbor last night. Absolutely the best Fish and Chips on the East Coast (I've had it several times, always great). Also the best shoreside lobster shack that we know of. Nice, always friendly people, great setting on the water, unbelievable prices(really). It's the best!

The only problem is they are seasonal. You can get an overnight mooring from a few sources and I'd bet they don't charge for a lunch stop.

Port Clyde lobster shack. :)

Lobster shack.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If you don't like the policy post on their Facebook page and also post it on Active Captain.
https://www.facebook.com/PortClydeGeneralStore/

Linda no longer owns the Dip Net restaurant so if you eat there, and expect a free mooring, you're not actually supporting the person managing and keeping the moorings safe.

Remember the employees are just doing what they are told to do and there could have been a miscommunication down the chain, or not.. I am sure if you post on their Facebook page in a reasonable manner the policy would likely change for folks actually provisioning at the PCGS.

Beyond that, do as we often do and anchor behind Hupper... It's a nice spot and not at all rolly..

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
If a business offers them for free, they need to fund them from somewhere. I'd rather pay for their use and then know that they are maintained, and not part of my "lobster roll". That way when I get there by auto, I'm not also paying for a mooring.
That's the thing - you're OK with them providing you free parking while patronizing their establishment, but not free mooring for lunch? Certainly, if you use their mooring but go next door for lunch, it would be fair to charge you. Likewise, it would be fair to have you towed if you park in their parking lot, spend the day at the beach, but don't patronize their establishment. Of course,moorings cost money. So does a roof. So does advertising. Part of the cost of doing business. If they don't want boaters' business, this is a sure way to prevent it. I'm not likely to ass that way again - it's been about 3 years - BUT, I can assure you they will never get my business as a result of this policy, just based on principle.

"I've always liked businesses that charge a fair price for items that cost them. That way, they can stay in business and I can depend on them being there if I want their services." And that's fair, too, IF they tell you in advance - not "oh, by the way, there's a rental fee of $35 for the table, not included in your dinner price."

Last edited: