Still outraged and need to vent

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
On our way back home to Belfast Maine, after another winter down south, we stopped in Port Clyde for lunch at the General Store and took one of the PCGS moorings. (I had the lobster roll, Sally the lobster stew, both very good.) When we came to pay the bill there was $35 added on for use of their mooring while eating. I complained no avail. "That's the policy. Sorry." Knowing that Linda Bean now owns the General Store I suppose I should not have been surprised. I wonder if she charges for using her parking lot while at the store.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We stopped there for lunch probably 10-12 years ago. No charge for the mooring, but the pendant was wrapped around the chain. 10 minutes to un-snarl and moor. Thanks for the heads-up. Won't stop there this year.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I would send her an email or snail mail to let her know how you were treated and the misleading policy and how unfair it is as compared to Leons transparent policies and his goal for fairness and value.... You could even consider sending it Certefied mail!
I am sure she will not get it but she would have a minion either deal with it or throw it in the trash.
it would be interesting to see how she handles it knowing that lots of other customers/sailers may be affected by her deciesions and decieisins that may effect other purchases.
No matter what it sounds like you got ripped off big time!

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Welcome back to Maine Chris, hope you didn't have to use the bathroom!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Was there a sign on the mooring ball? Do they only charge of you eat at the restaurant? Sounds like a call to the Better Business Bureau.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Somebody’s misguided approach to everything is a profit center.
Pay for parking In their lot?
This is a time when Facebook, instant gram, and other social media are powerful tools.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We haven’t bought anything from Bean nor do we traverse that area since her takeover. Better places to shop and eat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
They get 3.7 stars on Google, 3.5 on yelp, 4 stars on TripAdvisor and 4.2 on Facebook. Most of their negative comments are around prices.

Don't let this kind of stuff consume you. You now know it would be fun to try a new place. Have fun, don't feed the flames. Otherwise, your bill gets even higher.

Thanks for letting us know, however. I will remember them now.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Not the most popular Bean,....

Once they're open for the season (no help for Chris's dilemma), Luke's Lobster in Tenants Harbor gets our highest review for landlocked lobster shacks on the coast. The food and service is terrific and the wharf where you dine is all part of a fishermen owned Co-op that is striving for a sustainable fishing future.

You could probably get a mooring from either the boatyard or Cod End moorings, for a few hours at no charge.

Feb 11, 2017
Obviously, I'm going to take a different tack on this. I don't understand being "outraged" with someone charging for a product or service that costs them to install and maintain. I can understand being surprised with the change, and even with the amount. Moorings are cost items. If a business offers them for free, they need to fund them from somewhere. I'd rather pay for their use and then know that they are maintained, and not part of my "lobster roll". That way when I get there by auto, I'm not also paying for a mooring.
I've lived in coastal cruising communities for over 50 years and it is amazing how cruisers feel they should be exempt from paying for the support of the infrastructure. At times, it boarders on theft. Such things as Wifi don't get installed and maintained for free. I can remember when cruising the Bahamas and cruisers would complain when the bar/restaurant charged for Wifi while they were drinking the beer they brought up to the beach and never spent a dime at the establishment. I agree that $35 is pretty stiff for a lunch tie up. I wonder how many people tie up for lunch and spend the night?
I've always liked businesses that charge a fair price for items that cost them. That way, they can stay in business and I can depend on them being there if I want their services.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Here is the legal problem. Unless it is posted, it is free. A contract, to be considered legit must be disclosed and agreed to by both parties. Had it been posted, you would have had the option to choose to not eat there. Since it was not posted, you never agreed to the charge, and therefore do not have to pay. I would not have paid, and they would have had to come after me, which they would loose in court based on well established contract law.
Per the post above, most assume the cost of infrastructure is paid for by the cost of goods, SAME as it does on land. In places where the infrastructure cost is high, such as in the city, there are parking garages with posted fees. Even so, so businesses understand the need for free parking, and pay for expensive land, in order to be able to do business in that area. (such as the McDonald's in Downtown Chicago)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yeah, I thought "outraged" was a bit strong over $35 bucks. Life's too short, man.

It should have been posted though, for sure. Perhaps it was, and was missed?

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
Your comments are valid to a point, a lunch mooring is a way to bring business in, many restaurants in Fl will allow you to dock for dinner free and some even allow you to spend the night, once again the parking lot is free at every place because charging would dry up the paying customers quick.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Stopped in the boat once, to tour Mt Vernon. Entrance fee of course. Tying boat to dock - $5 per hour and must be gone by 5:00.
Parking lot free of course
Anchoring off , even JUST off, and tying dinghy up? That was free, and ok to stay at anchor over night

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
We lived in Maine and cruised in Maine many times. Including stopping in Port Clyde, albeit some years ago. We never encountered anything like the situation described by Chris above. Wherever we went where there were commercial establishments we were always, without exception, treated cordially and with respect. We were treated as though our business was important to the proprietor. This is clearly an exception and I doubt this will continue once the word gets out.
As an aside, Port Clyde is not a great overnight stop in any case. My recollection is that the current runs hard through there, makes launching the dinghy exciting, and sleeping tenuous.