Still in business....?!?!?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
How is West Marine still in business? I'm serious! I understand a small premium for having it all in one place but this makes no sense to me. I'm going to talk with my guy and if any of my 401K is in WM, I'm telling him to sell.

I went looking for a male 1/4 quick disconnect for my Tohatsu O.B. fuel line and this is what I found...

1572814930389.png

Or...

1572815258663.png

OR!!!!

1572815360977.png
... found this price on several different sites.

Defender...

1572816361900.png

HECK! Even Amazon has WM beat...

1572815628071.png

BTW: The one from WM looks used. Zoom in and you will see a bunch of nicks on the nut.

:banghead:

Last edited:

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
One of the guys in our local WM told me they will price match Amazon and brick & mortar stores....but you're right about their normal prices on most things being outrageous.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
There was a time when I'd say overhead costs.... BUT, WM also acts like any other online outlet. When looking or researching something I've had many WM hits that were only available on line. However, their online pricing was far from on par with their competition...

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I was in the Daytona store last week. Four employees, two customers.
Depressing!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Careful in comparisons. My local WM is always preferred by me.
Walk into a Defender Store?

I shop SBO too, not always the best price, but the have they the right parts and not a possible "knock off".

WM normally fits my "now" needs and it is fun to shop and look at least.
I shop the WM sales and find they are competitive.
There are other Marine stores locally, but WM has the stuff for sailors.
Jim...

PS: I have never bought Defender stuff, only SBO, WM or specialty items that are hard to find.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I agree completely. They never have stock on the shelf. Try Jamestown Distributors in Bristol, RI. Often times they even beat Defender.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
What's wrong with Defender? I just bought some 11/2" Raritan Saniflex hose from Defender at about half the price per foot of WM, even with shipping added. Same stuff as the local WM 1/4 mile away had.....

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Absolutely Nothing.....we shop there often also. Especially during their March Sale, those prices just can't be beat. And never had to return anything to them, make multiple trips for wrong size parts or wait 2 days for them to get the part they say they have in stock, can't say that about WM.

Jan 19, 2010
Careful in comparisons. My local WM is always preferred by me.
Walk into a Defender Store?

I shop SBO too, not always the best price, but the have they the right parts and not a possible "knock off".

WM normally fits my "now" needs and it is fun to shop and look at least.
I shop the WM sales and find they are competitive.
There are other Marine stores locally, but WM has the stuff for sailors.
Jim...

PS: I have never bought Defender stuff, only SBO, WM or specialty items that are hard to find.
I always look SBO first! Just wanted to put that out there. Not only does SBO have competitive pricing but you can call them and they will spend time on the phone with you to make sure you buy the right part the first time. That is a plus you can't find in most places these days.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I was in a WM store recently, it was kind of spooky. A large empty store with a couple of employees just hanging around.

Defender and Hamilton Marine in Searsport ME are my favorite marine stores followed closely by Fawcetts in Annapolis. There are knowledgeable people in both stores and all three stores have an old school feel about them, lots of stocks not much glitz.

Hamilton Marine is really Old School. There is a sign by the public restroom in the store that says, "Quiet Please, this is our call center" or something like that. Just outside the restroom door are a few desks with people on phones, it is their call center. I've ordered stuff from them and when they aren't sure of the stock you can hear the operator call on the store's PA "Hey, Jim, can you check to see if we have XXX on the shelf." I always make a point of stopping there (and buying something) when I pass through Searsport. :cool:

I was in Defender a couple years ago and had a question about something, the VP of the company was behind the counter and answered the question. Don't get that at WM.

The smaller stores seem more in touch with their customers, I prefer dealing with those companies. I'd even pay a little extra for the service and ambiance.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I always look SBO first! Just wanted to put that out there. Not only does SBO have competitive pricing but you can call them and they will spend time on the phone with you to make sure you buy the right part the first time. That is a plus you can't find in most places these days.
I'd shop SBO more often, however, there are 2 drawbacks for me. First, I find the online store a little difficult to navigate and to find what I'm looking for. It could be that I'm just more familiar with other online stores and to be fair one of other favorite stores, Hamilton, is also difficult to navigate. The bigger reason I don't shop as often with SBO is shipping. For smaller lighter items that can go USPS Priority Mail, the rate and shipping times are competitive. When I've priced items that were bulkier or heavier, the shipping rates were not as competitive and it takes a long time to get from the west coast to the east coast. By contrast, if I order from Defender by 4:00 it will arrive by 4:00 pm the next day via UPS for regular delivery rates (overnight service for regular rates).

FWIW, lately I've found USPS Priority Mail a great service. Reasonable rates and quick delivery, even from the west coast. The last thing I ordered from SBO only took 3 days to get here. True, it was a small package, but UPS couldn't match the time for the same cost.

Jan 19, 2010
I'd shop SBO more often, however, there are 2 drawbacks for me. First, I find the online store a little difficult to navigate and to find what I'm looking for.
That is true for me as well. If you were to go back and look at every post I've ever made about shopping at SBO, you will notice how often I mention calling them. That is often because I could not find the part on the line (my kids hate it when I say that) store BUT!... they have always been great about either finding the part for me or HAVING IT MADE. That was the deal maker for me. They have done that twice for me. And they helped me find some hard to source mast parts when I was dismasted two summers ago. I was back up and sailing in two weeks. :plus:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
What do you expect from a company seeking to become the boutique marine store?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Rarely stop there anymore. Needed a fender washer so stopped by WM. FASCO FASTENER Marine Grade Stainless Steel Fender Washers | West Marine

Seemed out of line price wise, so dropped by their marine store competition just down the street and purchased a similar SS washer for well under a dollar, so I purchased a couple of extras. This is the washer located on the bottom of the fender with a center hole for the rope to go through. This way the double knot will not pull through the fender when docking forces tend to pull the knot out of the fender without the washer.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I used to not mind the WM premium so much because it was close by and convenient. Then, they closed the local store, and the next one is 30 minutes away. Ok I figured, 30 minutes is still close for things I need in a pinch. Then this year getting ready to winterize I looked up PG antifreeze and saw it for $6 / gallon at WM online. I checked my marina chandlery, not really expecting them to be cheaper, so I planned on the 30 minute WM drive. But then as it turns out the chandlery cost was only $5 / gallon, minus another $1 manufacturer rebate. So if WM won’t compete on price or convenience, why would I pay their premium them any more???

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
LOL happy that your WM is so close- 30 minutes eh? Ours got closed- now it's a 90 mile drive, each way, to a WM. But the thing that made me stop is this- if I go in needing three of something, they'll have two- If I need two, there's one there. And I so seldom have a need fro the designer boating clothes they seem to feature now :(

I now shop Defender (still) SBO and Duckworks.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I agree with all the comments above (SBO store first!), but I also found Fisherman's Supply in Seattle to be good.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I used to not mind the WM premium so much because it was close by and convenient. Then, they closed the local store, and the next one is 30 minutes away. Ok I figured, 30 minutes is still close for things I need in a pinch. Then this year getting ready to winterize I looked up PG antifreeze and saw it for $6 / gallon at WM online. I checked my marina chandlery, not really expecting them to be cheaper, so I planned on the 30 minute WM drive. But then as it turns out the chandlery cost was only $5 / gallon, minus another $1 manufacturer rebate. So if WM won’t compete on price or convenience, why would I pay their premium them any more???
I think their business model has shifted somewhat in a way I don't understand. It seems like the local store has devoted about half of their floor space to clothing, swim accessories, and outboard motors. Then the remaining floor space is devoted to the type of parts and gear in which we may have an interest, with strange stocking anomalies as described above. And, and this is important, everything is priced very high. As some have said, I will go there in a moment of need but really abhor the thought.