Stiff Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Kunkel

We have a 1988 Catalina 30 MKII(Edson pedestal, wheel steering) on which the steering is quite stiff. I've serviced the steering pedestal, re-done the brake, lubed the chain, wires, quadrant (radial), etc. When the boat was last hauled, the rudder was removed and checked for true. The source of the stiffness is not in the pedestal or chain/cable arrangement. Seems to be somewhere in the rudderpost and the tube in which the rudder post sets. One theory advanced by the boat yard is that a previous owner had applied greese to the rudder post which has hardened over time (apparently it can get tar-like when exposed to salt water). In any event, the rudder is very stiff and we can't seem to find out why. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone had a similar experience that they've resolved? We love the boat, but other Catalinas we've sailed have had steering that was much, much easier and free. Gary Kunkel Catalina 30 Folie a Deux (means a delusional fantasy shared by two)

A

Allen Schweitzer

Cable Tension?

Gary, I know you said it couldn't be the cable system, but if you didn't check the tension, that could be the culprit. I had to tension my cables to keep a newly installed autopilot from keeping a wandering course. I accidently overtightened them and it caused the symptoms you're describing. I'll keep thinking... Allen Schweitzer s/v Falstaff C-30 Hull# 632

D

david

I agree..cable tension

I have an '88 C-30 #5367. Last season my steering was very tight. So much so, that the wheel squeeked very loudly when it turned. I performed the same maintenance you did to no avail. I even tried to take out the axle that holds the wheel on to lube it, but had no luck. I then read in the edson manual that the cables should be able to be deflected 1 or 2 inches by hand. Mine were very tight and could not be deflected at all. So I adjusted the tension per edson's recommendations and it made all the difference! Very easy to steer now, much more feel, and no squeeking!

G

Gary Kunkel

Thanks for suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions. Our first thought was cable tension. BUT, we've changed it from tight to loose and even had the steering disconnected totally, and the rudder is stiff just turning it without the cables even hooked up! Go figure? Our boat yard dropped the rudder out and it came out easily. Their best guess is that a previous owner used some sort of greese which has hardened inside the rudder tube to a sort of tar-like consistency. At least I suppose that could explain it. I'm somewhat tempted to run something down inside the rudder tube to clean or sand it out when the boat is hauled and the rudder is removed, but am also very leary of doing anything to loosen the tube-to-rudder-post too drastically. I may have our boat hauled by a different yard next time and get their view on the thing. It's really perplexing since the rudder post was checked for true and we've been all through the steering cables and pedestal. I was hoping someone may have had the same thing and had a "miracle cure." Thanks again for the suggestions. Anyone ever slathered the rudder post with teflon or silicone grease? The factory doesn't recommend any lube at all on the post, but maybe someone has and it worked? We don't want to do anything that could make things worse, if either of these harden with time and exposure to sea water. At least I'm getting stronger from turning a stiff steering wheel! Gary Kunkel

J

Jobee

Steering problem

We had very stiff steering on our boat. The problem was beneath where the cables came thru to connect to the turning wheel below deck. One side on the support had broken totally in-half and when the wheel was turned it would bindup very hard. We had to replace the mounting bracket and now the steering is back to normal. Edson doesn't make the bracket any more so your local parts wizzaard may be able to find one. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.