Stepping the Mast on a 25.5 doable with a Ginpole and Stern Crotch ?

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
Am lookin for some ideas to get the mast up by stepping with a Ginpole, has anyone done this with a 25.5? Base of mast has channel with to pins and receiver on deck the same to align with mast pin holes. Is this a normal activity with a 25.5 or do you have to have a hoist to raise mast to set straight down?

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
This the the bracket at mast base, I don't know how tall the Aft Crotch needs to be yet to get the back holes on mast base to align with back holes on deck base piece. Would like to know if there is someone who has done this with a 25.5? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rocky

Attachments

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
Most Likely Kap! I suspected the crotch might get somebody's attention, I like crotch better though! Got any pointers on the mast raising and lowering Sir?

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
I do not. With a 37' boat, my keel-stepped mast is stepped and unstepped with a crane. :beer:
Aye Aye Sir, I suspect that your mast is much longer and you most likely never trailer that ship, but I will be moving mine quite a few times and this is a must for us. May require some modification to mast base so that this is much simpler. I know that it is possible, just gotta get all the right rigging to accomplish.

Thanks
Rocky

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
Yes Sir, that particular bracket is just like the one on the base of the mast which goes inside the legs of the channel on the deck mounted channel where you place pins to secure, hoping to pivot on back pin, raise and then pin the other end of channel once stood.

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
No worries, I still like "Crotch" better, seems to fit the resting place of the mast at the stern, like the "Y" looks like a crotch, not a Crutch used for someone with a broke leg! Of course when you install a roller in that "Y" then it changes to look more like a crutch then, which is what the plan is ! Still like "Crotch" tho !

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
Yes Sir, that particular bracket is just like the one on the base of the mast which goes inside the legs of the channel on the deck mounted channel where you place pins to secure, hoping to pivot on back pin, raise and then pin the other end of channel once stood.
Can you snap a pic of the base on the deck?
Here is the picture of the deck mount, however I had it backwards the mast bracket fits on the outside of the deck mounted bracket !

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think your plan will work. You will need to devise a "gin" pole and a way to keep the mast from swaying side-to-side while raising (or lowering). The side-sway is usually controlled using "baby stays" which are temporary lines from someplace on the toe rail to a point about halfway between the deck and the spreaders. I have used ratchet straps for this purpose with very good results on a Balboa 26.

For the gin pole... you need a way to put the pole about 6" from the mast foot and then secure the base of the gin pole to the mast. I have see people cut a "Y" out of 1" boards and screw it to a 2"x4" and then using eye straps, tied the "Y" in place so it won't slip during a lift.

You then tie the jib halyard to the top of the gin pole. A lifting line then goes from the top of the gin pole to a strong block near the bow. Then lead this back to the cockpit winch.

Gin-Pole.png

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
I think your plan will work. You will need to devise a "gin" pole and a way to keep the mast from swaying side-to-side while raising (or lowering). The side-sway is usually controlled using "baby stays" which are temporary lines from someplace on the toe rail to a point about halfway between the deck and the spreaders. I have used ratchet straps for this purpose with very good results on a Balboa 26.

For the gin pole... you need a way to put the pole about 6" from the mast foot and then secure the base of the gin pole to the mast. I have see people cut a "Y" out of 1" boards and screw it to a 2"x4" and then using eye straps, tied the "Y" in place so it won't slip during a lift.

You then tie the jib halyard to the top of the gin pole. A lifting line then goes from the top of the gin pole to a strong block near the bow. Then lead this back to the cockpit winch.

View attachment 183370
Much thanks and I have watched some videos of this but seemed that the base brackets were a lot different, but am in process of building an aluminum Mast Crotch with a roller for ease of moving mast towards the stern to get the aft pin holes lined up and pin in the bracket for pivot point, was also planning on using trailer winch to pull mast up as it is really close to bow. Your thoughts on that approach as I will be stepping and lowering mast just before launch at ramp. Thank you for the response

Attachments