Stepping mast

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
With a robust raising system that has reliable lateral stabilization of both the mast and the gin pole, wind is not much of a concern . we’ve done it in 25 kts with bigger gusts. I would do it in higher winds if Needed. I have lowered it by myself in a 20+ kt cross wind.

Our tow vehicle and trailer with the mast extended aft is about 50feet total,length, so we often have little choice about where we park it with regard to wind direction. Raising and lowering in a cross wind is a frequent necessity.

Our mast is really tall and very heavy. It’s a trimaran, so all the rigging is much beefier than you might expect for a 24’ boat. It’s comparable to about a 30-35 footer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
With the boat you have, always point the bow into the wind. Then the question is how comfortable you are at high winds. The thing to be worried are the rogue side gusts that sometimes does occur. I cannot say much anymore as the decision is yours but would suggest that you have someone with you. It was my recommendation and with much help in that design given to hunter. Make sure you do not forget attaching your side stabilizer wires

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
It’s not always possible to point the bow into the wind at a marina parking lot. The tandem tandem spaces might not be aligned and there’s no other way to park.

And besides, why not design the system to prevent side sway and axial rotation !?!? Mast damage during raising happens all the time, to all brands of trailerable boats.

Last month there was a thread in which an H235, H240 and H26 who had all broken the mast foot in a mast raising mishap.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Last month there was a thread in which an H235, H240 and H26 who had all broken the mast foot in a mast raising mishap.
I was one of those... but it was not because of wind. My support side stay popped out during a lift and the mast did a slow motion fall to starboard. I've since fixed the cause of the lost stay.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I have raised and lowered masts more than 4000 times and quit counting after that. In the older hunters folks forgot the stabilizer wires and aware of others. Suggestions for mast raising are documented. Sorry Judy but I disagree here with you