Steering wheel on my Catalina 320 is too big?

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
It is almost impossible to get from behind the wheel into cockpit without stepping up on the seats. Seems like a crazy if not dangerous design? Is there a big down side with a smaller wheel?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, you lose the leverage from the larger wheel making it more difficult to steer.

There is a solution, it's not cheap but it works. I installed one this year and it makes the cockpit a much more comfortable place to be on anchor and in a slip.

Aug 7, 2023
Yes, you lose the leverage from the larger wheel making it more difficult to steer.

There is a solution, it's not cheap but it works. I installed one this year and it makes the cockpit a much more comfortable place to be on anchor and in a slip.

I was just looking online and I saw one article that said if you reduce the size from 48 inches to 40 inches the force required goes from 25 lbs to 30. is that significant?

also I have a knob at the center of the wheel that can change the force required to turn the wheel I have no idea from what pound to what pound. if I knew I could get an idea of whether 25 pounds to 30 pounds is significant.

I figure an additional 4 inches of space on either side of the wheel would do the trick

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It is almost impossible to get from behind the wheel into cockpit without stepping up on the seats. Seems like a crazy if not dangerous design? Is there a big down side with a smaller wheel?
It's a performance feature that Catalina put on the 320 mostly to emphasize their focus on performance for this boat, I think .... every advertisement and review notes that the 320 will provide uncommon performance for a family-oriented boat. It's marketing. They call the wheel the "Destroyer" - it's meant to invoke the image of a racing captain destroying the rest of the competition with its performance-oriented wheel! I agree, it is a pain to get around and also it is really nice when you sit on the rail and have an easy grip on the wheel. It also provides a very nice light feel at the helm due to the additional leverage. One of the more common complaints about the 320 that reviewers have made is that the helm is almost too light-feeling. Most features are compromises.

You could switch to a folding wheel, but even those have drawbacks, which include the expensive pricetag. Almost all 320's are fitted with the ubiquitous Raymarine Wheel Pilot. When you use the Wheel Pilot, the size of the wheel is meaningless. The force required to turn the wheel is directed through the spokes to the hub so the diameter of the wheel means nothing.

I've often thought about simply buying a smaller wheel for mounting the wheel pilot and only using the larger wheel for racing. The Catalina 34 is fitted with a smaller wheel. The difference between the "Destroyer" wheel and a smaller wheel will be minimal under normal use. @Calif. Ted is correct ... the standard wheel on the 320 is 40" diameter.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
also I have a knob at the center of the wheel that can change the force required to turn the wheel I have no idea from what pound to what pound. if I knew I could get an idea of whether 25 pounds to 30 pounds is significant.
If that is like most boats, that wheel is just the wheel brake as shown by @Calif. Ted It is not designed to reduce or increase the force when turning. When steering with the wheel in normal sailing, the wheel brake is off providing no "drag". It is primarily used to tighten the brake when you have the sails balanced requiring little steering, to lock the wheel when "hove to" or to lock the wheel when you have to leave it for a short time if you don't have an autopilot. I would not have the brake "partially tightened down" when normally steering with the wheel. This will wear the brake and it will eventually become ineffective for locking the wheel.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There is a solution, it's not cheap but it works.
I remember when I first saw those. I thought it was a smart adaptation but the sharp corner looks like it could be dangerous if you fell against it.
1702565479637.png

BTW: There is a used one for sale on eBay right now…

I figure an additional 4 inches of space on either side of the wheel would do the trick
If you are buying a new wheel anyway.... I'd consider the folding option.

Oct 26, 2008
I'm not sure if a Wheel Pilot fits on a folding wheel. You certainly can't fold it all the way in if you have a Wheel Pilot installed. I'm not really harping about the Wheel Pilot ... it's just that most 320's will already have one installed, I think. A below decks autohelm is not easily adaptable to the 320 and the cost of below decks is a little over-kill for a 320, I think. Not any that I had shopped had a below decks autohelm ... but all had a Wheel Pilot.

Jan 11, 2014
I'm not sure if a Wheel Pilot fits on a folding wheel. You certainly can't fold it all the way in if you have a Wheel Pilot installed. I'm not really harping about the Wheel Pilot ... it's just that most 320's will already have one installed, I think. A below decks autohelm is not easily adaptable to the 320 and the cost of below decks is a little over-kill for a 320, I think. Not any that I had shopped had a below decks autohelm ... but all had a Wheel Pilot.
A wheel pilot should fit on the lewmar folding wheel. It is basically a 6 spoke wheel. Two of the spokes are in 2 pieces with hinges in the rim. The split spokes are threaded, when opened the knob threads on to the spoke to keep it from folding in use.

The diameter of the Wheel Pilot might make it incompatible I don't know that dimension.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I remember when I first saw those. I thought it was a smart adaptation but the sharp corner looks like it could be dangerous if you fell against it.
View attachment 221952
BTW: There is a used one for sale on eBay right now…

If you are buying a new wheel anyway.... I'd consider the folding option.
I think that folding wheel would be great when at the dock, but it might not be something you'd want to be folding and unfolding when underway, and in that case it might not address entirely the OP's concern about being able to get around it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Another work around would be to remove the wheel when not sailing. I've been on boats that do that and they tie it to the lifelines.
I agree that the designer prolly planned on the helm's person to be sitting aside the wheel when sailing.
I also agree the "Destroyer" wheel is a marketing ploy. By all means put a smaller wheel on. If you look at many of the classic boats you'll see what looks like an oddly small wheel. If your sail plan is balanced you shouldn't need that much helm.

Jan 11, 2014
I think that folding wheel would be great when at the dock, but it might not be something you'd want to be folding and unfolding when underway, and in that case it might not address entirely the OP's concern about being able to get around it.
There is a locking mechanism to prevent the wheel from folding while underway.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
There is a locking mechanism to prevent the wheel from folding while underway.
Right, I understand that. But that wasn't my point, which maybe I didn't make clearly enough.

The OP was concerned about being able to get around the wheel. What I was trying to say is that he'd still have the problem underway since the wheel would always be fully opened under those circumstances. It would solve his problem when anchored, moored, or at the dock, however.

Jan 11, 2014
Right, I understand that. But that wasn't my point, which maybe I didn't make clearly enough.

The OP was concerned about being able to get around the wheel. What I was trying to say is that he'd still have the problem underway since the wheel would always be fully opened under those circumstances. It would solve his problem when anchored, moored, or at the dock, however.
I interpreted your statement as meaning having the wheel fold unexpectedly. There are always compromises. The wheel was most annoying at anchor as it was in the way when we went swimming, got on the dinghy, were cooking on the grill, and cleaning the cockpit. Often the trips back and forth we were carrying stuff, climbing up on the seat and ducking under the Bimini was a PITA. While sailing there just aren't as many back and forth trips from the helm to some place forward and seldom were we carrying anything.

Before getting the folding wheel, we would take the wheel off. We stopped that practice when I realized if something happened, like dragging anchor, it would be difficult to get the wheel back on in a hurry.

Oct 26, 2008
Another work around would be to remove the wheel when not sailing. I've been on boats that do that and they tie it to the lifelines.
I would do that, but it is a bit of a nuisance to unplug the Wheel Pilot. The connection seems sketchy enough without repeatedly undoing it. I've been too lazy (or distracted with other things) to find or make a better, more convenient fitting. I'm not speaking for @Ted10028 , but I imagine he may have the same issue.

Oct 26, 2008
Yep, exactly ... when sailing is the bigger issue, where the ability to get around it is the most objectionable.

Oct 26, 2008
The wheel was most annoying at anchor as it was in the way when we went swimming, got on the dinghy, were cooking on the grill, and cleaning the cockpit. Often the trips back and forth we were carrying stuff, climbing up on the seat and ducking under the Bimini was a PITA. While sailing there just aren't as many back and forth trips from the helm to some place forward and seldom were we carrying anything.
Well, yeah, come to think of it ... especially the part about cooking on the grill! :facepalm:

Aug 7, 2023
I agree that the designer prolly planned on the helm's person to be sitting aside the wheel when sailing.
I also agree the "Destroyer" wheel is a marketing ploy. By all means put a smaller wheel on. If you look at many of the classic boats you'll see what looks like an oddly small wheel. If your sail plan is balanced you shouldn't need that much helm.
i'm thinking that is a good idea. I see a used wheel for $250. 32" inches on eBay. then I will have both and can use either.