Steering Backwards

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've seen a few pics where the wheel is backwards. Is this simply done because there's no place for a pedestal?
1613028412236.png

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Same as a tiller or a car push the top towards the side of the boat that you want to make circles. The more you push or turn the tighter the circles get it works in both forward and reverse. Steering behind rather than backwards I think.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
More room in the cockpit. Perhaps simpler connection to tiller quadrant - can use direct rack & pinion connection, rather than a chain as freestanding binnacle, which is the reason for the angling of the reverse-mount?
Here's another example from the Truman Show, but that boat trip didn't end well:
1613053579960.png

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Pedestal steering uses cables to turn a quadrant on the rudder post to turn the rudder.

Some boats like the one in the photo use a rack and pinion gear to turn the rudder. There is one other direct drive method, I can't recall at the moment.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Interesting thread on backward steering wheel.

Jan 11, 2014
When steering a boat with rack and pinion or worm gear (Thanks @capta for the name) the helmsman stands to the side of the wheel. The spokes on the wheel make it easier to hold onto the wheel and control it. Standing to the side often allows for greater visibility forward since the cabin house and masts will not obstruct sight lines.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When steering a boat with rack and pinion or worm gear (Thanks @capta for the name) the helmsman stands to the side of the wheel. The spokes on the wheel make it easier to hold onto the wheel and control it. Standing to the side often allows for greater visibility forward since the cabin house and masts will not obstruct sight lines.
I actually installed stirrups (simple brass ones on either side of the worm gear casing), and they worked great in heavy weather.

Jan 11, 2014
I actually installed stirrups (simple brass ones on either side of the worm gear casing), and they worked great in heavy weather.
That sounds like something Mike Plant, The Ocean Cowboy would have done. YeeHaw!!! :biggrin:

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
How do you feel weather helm if you have a worm gear in your steering? Seems wrong on a sailboat.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Nice reflection, but I disagree with the visibility comments. Most vehicles have the operator in front for visibility or in communication with someone who can see forward.