Staysail and Genoa Track additions for Hunter 37 Cutter

Oct 25, 2011
Hunter 37 Cutter Yankton SD
Hey Blaise (and others too) -

I got my H37 4 years ago, converted it to a Sloop right away with a 130 Genoa. Intended to race her on short course races, but have now been the race officer running our local races for last two years. Boat sails beautifully with the 130, but wish occasionally I could have the staysail for when it really gets windy

I am in the process of reinstalling the Staysail forestay and the cutter rear stays with dyneema, and having the staysail stay easily removable. I'm planning on using the staysail only when its windy enough to use alone, or instead of the Genoa 130 and to hank on the staysail. NOT using the self tacking boom, probably looking at adding some smaller length Jib track to sheet the staysail from inside the stays

Blaise I saw some pics of your boat (cant find now) and some added Jib or Genoa tracks for better sheeting angles. Can you tell me how you you sheet your Genoa 130, and what do you do when it gets really heavy in your offshore racing, do you just go with a small amount of your 130 unfurled? or have a storm jib on the moveable cutter stay? I sheet my 130 at the rail, outside of the stays. Looks like I will definitly need to add some hardware to sheet the staysail, to get the sheeting angle right. (I am not planning on using the Jib Boom).

Thanks for any advice......... Im also going to put this on the forum so others can read.

Paul Bommersbach

Oct 25, 2011
Hunter 37 Cutter Yankton SD
Found Blaise Pictures of his Genoa Tracks, can I continue these forward and have a decent sheeting point for Staysail? or will It have to be up on the cabin top?

MidnightSun t-track.jpg
Blaise II.jpg
Blaise.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Your choice is to either install the track and design the sail for it....or acquire the sail and design the track location based on the sail. But actually, if you decide what sheeting angle you want..that will determine track location... and so..I would ask the sailmaker what the optimum sheeting angle for the staysail will be. You can also consider rigging up a barberhauler for the staysail and put the track wherever you want.

Hmm.. just dawned on me that you may be able to use the staysail's existing athwartship track support... as long as your clew angle is correct (you can design that into the sail). with a single side to side track you can adjust the sheeting angle to your hearts desire....no need for a barberhauler.

Last edited: