Starwind 19 project boat

Jul 12, 2022
precision precision 18 chowan
wow! I looked at the time stamp on the pics and you were "Busting it" .....great job in such a short time!

Yuba94

Jul 19, 2022
Wellcraft Starwind 19 N/A (Trailer)
Can you post a picture and show me what you are talking about? I'm not following your description well
Loto,
I think I answered my own question. I believe there might be a difference in design between mine (1986) and your boat. On the aft side of the boat, there’s a metal clamp that sits above the rubrail. A small wooden piece sits inside this clamp which the clamp is screwed into, and also the rubrail is riveted into this wood. For my boat, this piece rotted out and my question originally was how you replaced it.

I’ve already removed the rubrail to inspect my hull/deck joint and replace this rotted wood piece. See pictures below.

Attachments

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Loto,
I think I answered my own question. I believe there might be a difference in design between mine (1986) and your boat. On the aft side of the boat, there’s a metal clamp that sits above the rubrail. A small wooden piece sits inside this clamp which the clamp is screwed into, and also the rubrail is riveted into this wood. For my boat, this piece rotted out and my question originally was how you replaced it.

I’ve already removed the rubrail to inspect my hull/deck joint and replace this rotted wood piece. See pictures below.
Glad you fixed it. Mine had no wood there

Jan 15, 2023
Starwind 19 Clark Hill
Does everyone enjoy this boat? The more I want a bigger boat, the more I realize this is just basic sailing. And that is exactly what I want to do. Had a 27 oday, but I don't miss it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have an O'Day 25 and I miss my Starwind. Great little boat with a fantastic interior layout but I don't miss being tossed around in the waves

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Yuba94
Generally the rub rail is a two piece sometimes with an end cap. The base of the rub rail is attached at the hull to deck joint. Then the cover or second piece is secured to the base. I have seen a cap on the end as standard with some manufacturers. I am curious what the other side looks like as it appears there was previous damage
Can you post a photo

Yuba94

Jul 19, 2022
@Yuba94
Generally the rub rail is a two piece sometimes with an end cap. The base of the rub rail is attached at the hull to deck joint. Then the cover or second piece is secured to the base. I have seen a cap on the end as standard with some manufacturers. I am curious what the other side looks like as it appears there was previous damage
Can you post a photo
Sure! Next time I head to the boat I’ll snap a photo and post it (within the next week). The small rotted wood end cap that was previously mentioned in my post has been replaced with PVC board cut to match the dent from the previous damage, siliconed into place, and re-drilled/secured with a stainless steel nut/bolt similar in size to the rusted rivet that previously secured it. The other side (starboard) appears to be in good shape without visible damage, I.e the dent in the fiberglass.
The repair was made last July and has since treated me well and overall I’m happy with it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Sure! Next time I head to the boat I’ll snap a photo and post it (within the next week). The small rotted wood end cap that was previously mentioned in my post has been replaced with PVC board cut to match the dent from the previous damage, siliconed into place, and re-drilled/secured with a stainless steel nut/bolt similar in size to the rusted rivet that previously secured it. The other side (starboard) appears to be in good shape without visible damage, I.e the dent in the fiberglass.
The repair was made last July and has since treated me well and overall I’m happy with it.
The impressive part is that the previous owner managed to find a pop rivet that's not aluminum

Yuba94

Jul 19, 2022
The impressive part is that the previous owner managed to find a pop rivet that's not aluminum
I’m unsure whether the rivet is factory or not. The previous owner who I communicate with on a somewhat regular basis still, mentioned he was oblivious that the damage existed. The rivet had more than surface rust though.
Truthfully, this is my first sailboat and I’m a novice sailor overall. I didn’t notice this until a few weeks after purchase. Since then, I’ve spent hours working on the exterior/interior of the boat (1986 Starwind 19) and haven’t noticed any damage as blatant as this one. Since this small repair, I’ve replaced/re-sealed all screws/bolts with new stainless steel since some were zinc and also rusted. Sanded and applied teak oil to all exterior wood. I’ve replaced the forward hatch over the v-berth with a new Lewmar hatch, resealed the portholes, and updated the interior electrics (i.e lighting, electric sink pump, and lighter lithium batteries). She has treated me well and I’m still improving her. It’s a great first sailboat.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I’m unsure whether the rivet is factory or not. The previous owner who I communicate with on a somewhat regular basis still, mentioned he was oblivious that the damage existed. The rivet had more than surface rust though.
Truthfully, this is my first sailboat and I’m a novice sailor overall. I didn’t notice this until a few weeks after purchase. Since then, I’ve spent hours working on the exterior/interior of the boat (1986 Starwind 19) and haven’t noticed any damage as blatant as this one. Since this small repair, I’ve replaced/re-sealed all screws/bolts with new stainless steel since some were zinc and also rusted. Sanded and applied teak oil to all exterior wood. I’ve replaced the forward hatch over the v-berth with a new Lewmar hatch, resealed the portholes, and updated the interior electrics (i.e lighting, electric sink pump, and lighter lithium batteries). She has treated me well and I’m still improving her. It’s a great first sailboat.
It sounds like your rub rail is different than what was on my '84. The one issue that you should look out for on this boat is the rudder pivot bolt can crush the foam filled rudder. I have a few ideas on how to avoid this as well as the manual from the now defunct Starwind Association. PM if you're interested