Starwind 19 project boat

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Cleaned up, new bulkheads, Port side hull joint repaired and sealed up

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You must own a fleet of sailboats by now!

My last boat was a Starwind 19. Great little boat. There's a few quirks. Be sure that you have a downhaul for the rudder. If you over crank the rudder pivot bolt the foam rudder can crack at the edge. I planned on drilling a few holes and filling them back in with thickened epoxy to prevent this. If it's not too difficult for you to lift the boat, I'd reseal the centerboard bracket. Getting it back in there is a pain. One more thing to take a look at is the outboard and rudder. Mine could touch the rudder when I bought it. To prevent this I cut the wood for the outboard mount wider than the original. I then mounted it closer to Port instead of centered on the mount. This provided about 2" of clearance

I wish I still had that boat. My 25 isn't a great trailer sailor. Anyways, feel free to ask any questions. I have quite a bit of knowledge, pics and documents for the 19

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Great boat, we had a Starwind 223 with the short keel center board combo. We sailed it in the Long Island Sound, the Chesapeake Bay, the Outer Banks, the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Keys and a few inland lakes. The boat could handle pretty rough seas that kept larger boats in their docks. We had issues with the kick up rudder but addressed them by installing a down haul line and a small cleat.

Aug 10, 2020

My last boat was a Starwind 19. Great little boat. There's a few quirks. Be sure that you have a downhaul for the rudder. If you over crank the rudder pivot bolt the foam rudder can crack at the edge. I planned on drilling a few holes and filling them back in with thickened epoxy to prevent this. If it's not too difficult for you to lift the boat, I'd reseal the centerboard bracket. Getting it back in there is a pain. One more thing to take a look at is the outboard and rudder. Mine could touch the rudder when I bought it. To prevent this I cut the wood for the outboard mount wider than the original. I then mounted it closer to Port instead of centered on the mount. This provided about 2" of clearance

I wish I still had that boat. My 25 isn't a great trailer sailor. Anyways, feel free to ask any questions. I have quite a bit of knowledge, pics and documents for the 19
Sailboats come and go. I have my catalina 25 still. This one is to fix and sell.

I only have this one and my catalina 25 right now.

How is your O'Day coming along? Last I read you were doing a bunch of deck work.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
How is your O'Day coming along? Last I read you were doing a bunch of deck work.
It's a never ending project. I decided to skip the deck this season since there were too many other projects. The heated mat I placed on the foredeck is doing a great job of drying it out.
Right now I'm wrapping up a partial transom rebuild and some work on the below water through hull. Next up is work on the semi functional saildrive to get rid of leaks, outboard maintenance, bottom paint, rebed bow hardware and if I have enough time, gelcoat touch up and resurface the countertop with fake teak paneling

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Love the color. I grew up on a schooner named Sunflower, painted yellow. The people at the boatyard where she was built, called her 'the floating school bus.'

I hope you turn a great profit on your flip. Show everyone how wrong they are to say it can't be done.

-Will

Yuba94

Jul 19, 2022
Wellcraft Starwind 19 N/A (Trailer)
Loto,

Awesome pictures and very informative. Your boat turned out amazing and it serves as an inspiration for my boat. I recently purchased a 1986 Starwind 19 as my first sailboat and I'm loving it so far. The boat for her age is in great condition with one exception, and that's the wood trimming that lines the exterior of the boat where it meets deck level. I can visually see that this area is rotten on the aft port side, and have yet to investigate further but suspect this entire piece will need replacing.

I saw in your pictures that you removed this wood segment. Could I ask for more details on how you replaced it? Did you use treated wood or a synthetic replacement? Overall how much fiberglassing was involved, and what was the rational behind removing that chunk of fiberglass below the aft port window?

Any information for a total newbie is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Michael

Aug 10, 2020
Loto,

Awesome pictures and very informative. Your boat turned out amazing and it serves as an inspiration for my boat. I recently purchased a 1986 Starwind 19 as my first sailboat and I'm loving it so far. The boat for her age is in great condition with one exception, and that's the wood trimming that lines the exterior of the boat where it meets deck level. I can visually see that this area is rotten on the aft port side, and have yet to investigate further but suspect this entire piece will need replacing.

I saw in your pictures that you removed this wood segment. Could I ask for more details on how you replaced it? Did you use treated wood or a synthetic replacement? Overall how much fiberglassing was involved, and what was the rational behind removing that chunk of fiberglass below the aft port window?

Any information for a total newbie is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Michael
Can you post a picture and show me what you are talking about? I'm not following your description well