Standing Rigging Catalina 309

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Hi all,
Our 2006 C309 still has the original standing rigging, it all appears to be in good condition but may need replacing due to its age..

We do some cruising and about 30 inshore races per year in winds up to about 25 knots

I’m interested to know at what age other C309 owners have replaced their rigging? And the approximate cost of doing so

Cheers

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
........I’m interested to know at what age other C309 owners have replaced their rigging? And the approximate cost of doing so........
Suggest reaching out to your local rigger(s) to survey your standing rigging and agree on what frequency based on your sailing conditions and frequency, e.g., once a season,. This is not very expensive. Consider it cheap insurance. The survey will give you a heads up on what has to be replaced and by when. They can also give you a budget cost based on an agreed scope of work.

You might these articles helpful:
Standing Rigging Inspection | Cruising World
Inspecting, Maintaining and Replacing Standing Rigging - Sail Magazine
Standing-Rigging-Care.pdf (rigworks.com)
You also might find these threads about standing rigging inspection and replacement intervals:
Standing rigging replacement intervals | Sailboat Owners Forums
Rigging Lifespan? | Sailboat Owners Forums

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Thanks for the info,
Booked a rigger for next week.
I'm still interested to know when other C309 owners have replaced theirs..?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'm still interested to know when other C309 owners have replaced theirs..?
Steve. Information is always good to know from other owners of the same boat. Yet knowing about the nature of boats whether a Catalina or Hunter in this case may not provide usable data. All standing rigging on boats is independent of the manufacturer. It is dependent on
  1. how the boat is used,
  2. The waters and latitude the boat is sailed
  3. How the owner cares for the boat
You can take two brand new Beneteau’s one sails on weekends in north/south of the trades and the second is sailed daily in the tropics. Boat one is cared for and regularly inspected. Boat two pulls to anchor after passage or racing and the crew breaks out the rum. Boat one may go 15 to 20 years before the standing rigging shows need for repair/replacement while boat two standing rigging is shot in 5/6 years.

Based on what you state are your plans to sail the boat, a prudent owner would want a good known base point to start from. Sounds to me, taking the mast down and refitting the mast plus all standing rigging would be a sound investment in your sailing adventures.

Be sure to clue your rigger in on your plans to sail your boat. That is valuable info to help guide the inspection.

Congrats on your boat and welcome to the SBO forum.

P54

Feb 15, 2020
Catalina 309 Raymond Island
Hi Steve, here in Australia insurers typically want standing rigging replaced every 10 years, and having lost a 50 foot mast on a previous yacht I'm with them on that. Regards, Paul (309 "Wings")

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Thanks for the feedback,
Had the rig inspected, no major issues visible but replacement recommend due to age.
Received 2 quotes , both about A$8000.