Standard Horizon Instruments

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I am super fortunate enough to have three Standard Horizon Instruments on the exterior of the Cabin in the cockpit area. Unfortunately none of them work. All three are inserted into nice 3"- 4" holes. I am not finding new ones to dream about, as replacements. If they are original to the boat then the age alone might be a challenge even to fix, and who knows if the thruhull fixtures for the speed and depth even work. Not to mention climbing the mighty mount Everest of a mast to replace the wind vane. Is it worth just glassing over the holes and finishing the gel coat leaving the bulkheads plain? My garmin can read depth and can be hooked up to a in hull transducer, I guess the speed is only necessary for calculating how long my trip will take and water temp, who cares, I want to stay dry! So what oh wise ones is your suggestions.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a good question. An answer would need more information to be relevant.

How do you or do you plan to use your boat?

Instruments that provide performance metrics are there to help you gauge factors that influence your boats operating performance. If this additional information is not needed then removing the metric indicators and sealing the holes would give your boat a cleaner look than gauges that do not work.

So the answer is found in do you want or need to know the metrics?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Rather than glassing, what about covering the holes with a nice piece of teak? You might even be able to mount new instruments against the teak.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Don't glass over. It'll never look right.
Just leave them there. Until you find the new ones you like.
If you want to replace, keep in mind that most new instruments may appear square on their face, but have a round backside.
I think I just described myself.

Regarding function, I sailed for years on previous boats with no wind speed. Only had direction from wind vane. Conclusion is that it's nice to have, but a sailor knows wind speed on his own after awhile.
You need depth in the Chesapeake, as you know.
Water speed is not required, but it's up there in level of necessity. GPS doesn't account for tide and current regarding the boat's water speed.
If I'm under-speed for conditions, I know to check sails, look at point ie am I too high, does the bottom need a cleaning, am I dragging something, etc. Also the log is a good backup, and an analytical tool with the clock for looking at overall performance.

image.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Get yourself an ITC-5 from Raymarine and a couple i70s’s. That will get speed and depth. If your lucky the wind will also be compatible.

Feb 9, 2019
Watkins 29 Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
My wind indicator does not work as well. Horizon 1987 vintage. My sister says there is a guy in New England area that fixes them. Anyone heard of him?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I agree with Skipper, glassing over or covering with something never looks right. Find modern instruments that fit.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Find modern instruments that fit.
Impossible. I had large-hole Signet Marine gauges on my C36. They were repairable by the maker, but too expensive to justify for stand-alone gauges. I made nice, semi-rectangular (meaning with slightly curved edges) covers for the holes of Starboard, with 45 degree beveled edges, that fit over the holes, and were bored out to accept the new Raymarine wind, speed, and depth gauges. Looked and worked great.
If I didn't care about having everything on an instrument bus, and I had those large holes, I'd look for a set of Datamarine instruments. They are really good, and repairable, and look good.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
When I bought my boat I had 4 (2 water-filled and beyond repair) S/R mariners mounted on either side of the companionway. Depth would work "sometimes" So ..... I added a Nav pod and placed the new instruments at the helm where my old eyes can see them. They are never obstructed by a coiled line or a body as was the case often is when mounted on the bulkhead. I temporarily installed 2 mahogany blanks, (wife is happy again holes are covered) over the coming winter layup I am installing 2 portlights that will cover the holes. I never considered fiberglass knowing it would never look good and would be a ton of work. The new portlights will be under the dodger and will allow me to keep them open for ventilation and will add some much-needed light in the galley and @ the Nav station. IMG_0669.JPG 414BA4D0-5240-44DD-AA2F-E25D9F1D6725.JPG

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Nice job, David! I had considered port lights that on my C36, but I was running out of steam, and my instruments were mounted one to starboard, and two two port, vertically, kind of.

I considered a horizontal pod across the companionway, forward, under the dodger, as I'd seen that on some racing boats - so crew can see them as well as helmsman. The new Raymarine instruments ore very easy to read.

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
From Skipper
"If you want to replace, keep in mind that most new instruments may appear square on their face, but have a round backside.
I think I just described myself." That was hilarious, and good advise.
A common statement heard form most sailors when talking about their instruments "I have (fill in the brand instruments) including wind speed. The wind speed doesn't work anymore." I'm just sayin..........

Jan 28, 2017
O'Day 34 Suttons Bay
I had similar issues with OE Datamarine instruments in the port bulkhead. Found a deal on B&G package with 2 MFDs, wind/DST/GPS and decided to add the Ray AP control head instead of leaving a blank hole. Had a relative with a CNC router make spacer rings out of 3/4in oak that I epoxied in place with West Six10. Really appreciate having more info on TWA/AWA and an AP that can point to the wind for hoisting sails. Now I need to tackle the brightwork...

Attachments

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I never did show what I did. On the Starboard side there was two instruments which were trash. A depth and a speed. I removed them both. The previous owner had donated a ton of stuff, including a Hawkeye depth gauge with transducer. I kept the original depth wire in place. It had a male RCA jack on the end to go into the old instrument gauge. I made a connecting wire, One end a female RCA and the other a male 8mm jack. The Hawkeye has a female 8mm receptacle. Before and real installation was done, I powered it all up and it worked. Here is my end result. The starboard covers both holes. I used screws and 4200. On the inside cabin wall I made a cover plate, also covering both holes, but with a scooch cell phone magnets system and a USB outlets so I can charge my phone or my Ipad Mini
Copy of 57884704318__DDA91EA5-0BBC-4025-A456-A8B974BBF0CA.JPG

Last edited: