Stanchion Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2010
Catalina c27 Lake St. Clair
Hoping for help with my stanchion placement on a 27 Catalina.

Before I purchased the vessel, the stanchions were removed and re-installed. They appear to be in the wrong places because of how they lean- -inward and outward. None of them are bent, so I think that the re-install put them in the wrong locations.

Is there a place where I can find the proper stanchion placement and location of any angled stanchions?

I sure do appreciate any help someone might offer.

Randy

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 27 San Juan Islands
Well, stanchion come with different angles. I've seen them from 0 degrees (perpendicular to the deck) up to 19 degrees, and I'm sure they come at greater angles as well. So, it very well could be that the stanchions are located correctly, but they may not be at angles to your liking.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
I just replaced mine. Headache. Glad that is almost over. Still some clean up downstairs.

My original set had one lifeline. That set went pretty much straight up.

I have a parts boat that had a double lifeline and I decided to switch them. The PO had already removed them from the parts boat so all I had to do was unbolt one set and bolt on the other set. All the mounting holes were the exact same.

I did not notice until I started glueing and bolting the change over set had a huge lean in. Major lean in.

I did lots of head scratching before I decided to go forward.

The heavy lean looks sexier. Looks more fun somehow. It had to grow on me, the first few minutes I was rather taken back. This lean makes it impossible to walk on the lower deck edge to the bow, unless you walk on the outside of the stanchions in which case it makes it 100% better. It was too narrow before anyway. Unusable. Now it is very usable.

Just love the new look. The lower safety line? I used solar LED rope lights. Really sets off the sailboat at night.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hoping for help with my stanchion placement on a 27 Catalina.

Before I purchased the vessel, the stanchions were removed and re-installed. They appear to be in the wrong places because of how they lean- -inward and outward. None of them are bent, so I think that the re-install put them in the wrong locations.

Is there a place where I can find the proper stanchion placement and location of any angled stanchions?

I sure do appreciate any help someone might offer.

Randy

Randy, there are three sets of stanchions on the 27. There will probably be markings in the deck where the previous sets were.... if not look inside at the edge of the liner and you'll see small indentations that allow access to the backing plates and nuts for the bases, which will indicate the proper location. You should be able to walk around just about any marina and find a catalina 27 to compare with....if you can't by simply looking at photos. You could also call catalina yachts customer service for their advice.... However, it is unlikely that a previous owner "relocated" the stanchions.... it wouldn't make sense...

I will tell you that on the older boats, like mine, the stanchions don't stand perfectly vertical.... often the aftermost one gets bent in by improper sheet location.... but.. if you desire them all to be perfectly vertical... I suggest you get a level and a protractor.. then measure the vertical angles for each set.

Once you've taken your measurements you can decide which need replacing... for instance you may find the middle one will fit perfectly up front...etc. If not... you can purchase new stanchions from Catalina Yachts parts department direct.... or do like many of us here on the forum and order new stanchions from www.garhauermarine.com..... and stipulate the angle you desire. My recollection is Catalina offers them in 7 deg and 11 deg angles. Garhauer will make then to whatever angle you specify.

The major choice is whether to go with the existing single line... or convert all of them over to double line. If you're on a budget... stay with the single line since you may not have to replace all six stanchions.

Also, I would stay with the one piece stanchion and base, rather than separate base and pole.... mainly because that's probably what you have aleady.

When you install new stanchions... I suggest you google for instructions or go to the owner's website www.catalina27.org and you may find a project page that will give detailed instruction on the matter.

Finally.... whatever you decide to do.... don't use led lights for you lifelines. The popular trend now is to replace the vinyl coated wire with bare wire.... or some owners have been replacing the wire with hi-tech single braid line such as Samson Amsteel.... it's actually stronger than wire, easier on the sails and looks good too.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Randy, in addition to Joe's great assist, since you physically have them there with you on YOUR boat, try some PlayDough on the bases and move them around until you find a combination that makes sense to you. The PlayDough or something similar should hold them up enough and long enough for you to get a better feel for it. Only then install them.

You should also get some butyl tape to rebed them.

See: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117172

Good luck.

Jul 13, 2010
Thank you

Well, stanchion come with different angles. I've seen them from 0 degrees (perpendicular to the deck) up to 19 degrees, and I'm sure they come at greater angles as well. So, it very well could be that the stanchions are located correctly, but they may not be at angles to your liking.
Thank you so much for your advice. I did check into angles and availability- -then I looked at different catalinas in the area- - I think I will just go with what seems best for now- -as long as I can keep it looking good!

Thanks Again!

Randy

Jul 13, 2010
Thank you

Thank you Joe.

I had a hard time getting back to the forum and finding my question and I was so shocked and appreciative of all the helpful suggestions- -thank you so much.

I am re-doing everything on the deck, paint, brightwork, and re-bedding. Then all electric and running rigging, so your great description and the help of other suggestions is going to work well!

Thanks again

Randy

Jul 13, 2010
Thank you Sail123. The lights look very visible-nice touch. My lines were done with new lines before my purchase of the boat so I will keep these for now.

Thank you again!

Randy

Jul 13, 2010
Thank you Stu! The site you suggested was a great help! I just finished re-bedding the bow pulpit and there was very needed advice on this page!

Thanks Again!

Randy

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
However, it is unlikely that a previous owner "relocated" the stanchions.... it wouldn't make sense...
Our boats are old enough that anything may have happened from previous owners. Maybe these aren't the original stanchions at all. I suggest compare your deck to other Catalina-27's in your area. Don't assume.

Once you've taken your measurements you can decide which need replacing... for instance you may find the middle one will fit perfectly up front...etc. If not... you can purchase new stanchions from Catalina Yachts parts department direct.... or do like many of us here on the forum and order new stanchions from www.garhauermarine.com..... and stipulate the angle you desire. My recollection is Catalina offers them in 7 deg and 11 deg angles. Garhauer will make then to whatever angle you specify.
Be careful about stanchion replacement. I removed my stanchions during a deck painting project. I could not restore the finish of the stanchions using off-the-shelf metal polishes and was considering replacing them outright. I physically carried the old stanchions to Garhauer myself. The problem wasn't the angles but the holes that were drilled in the stanchion base-plate did not line up with holes they use for their current line of stanchions, even though it is likely Garhauer supplied the original stanchions to the Catalina factory! If you decide to replace the current stanchions, make sure you make an accurate template tracing of the base plates and see if you can match them, otherwise you may be patching and drilling new holes in the deck.

As for my project, instead of replacing stanchions, I had a crack re-welded and all stanchions elctro-polished. They looked like new again, fit my deck holes perfectly, and was much cheaper than buying new stanchions. I know you're concerned about stanchion angles, but if you decide to replace, beware.

Finally.... whatever you decide to do.... don't use led lights for you lifelines. The popular trend now is to replace the vinyl coated wire with bare wire.... or some owners have been replacing the wire with hi-tech single braid line such as Samson Amsteel.... it's actually stronger than wire, easier on the sails and looks good too.
Oddly enough, the bare wire is more expensive than vinyl coated. For some classes of racing, bare wire is required. I haven't seen any boats around my 'hood with Amsteel for lifelines; I'd be curious to see how that works. As for my project, I replaced mine with vinyl, and now I re-coat it with a UV protectant every six months to keep them from drying and cracking again.

Status
Not open for further replies.