Stanchion Bolt Removal

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have traced a slight leak to the support stanchions that are the gate way supports (4) on both sides of my boat. I need to remove or loosen and reseal these 16 Stainless Steel though bolts.
Hunter did a thoughtful job of providing access, albeit very tight, to them.
The access reveals on the easier ones, in the red oval on the picture, a SS backer plate with a nuts and washers.
I suspect that Hunter used 5200 to seal them OEM.
I have tried to "hand" loosen them, no luck. I don't want to strip the head.
Any ideas, tools, advise on "break out" of these bolts?
StanClse.png

Note that the right bolt appears to have a different head?
Jim...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I like to use a cordless drill motor with adjustable torque settings, starting on the low end of torque, with someone or something below to hold the nuts. Use a brand-new cross-recess bit.

It acts as a sort of hammer drill, and you can gently ramp up the applied force until you either cam out, unscrew or break the fastener.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you need a buddy to back up the screw head while you turn the nut from below

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Just some guy. That's a great idea. But if he has cordless drill and impact kit. The impact gun with #3 Philips tip and vice grips on nut will usually break loose or sometimes break bolt which might be what happened to non matching bolt and if that doesn't work next you half to drill or cut bolt head off drive thru hole and replace. You can usually buy new bolts from hard ware stores just take a maganet with you so you don't buy the bolt with too much iron in it.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It's easy. Impact screwdriver. You hit it with a hammer and it forces the bit in tight, vibrates the threads and twists at the same time with way more force than your hands. I'll post a link, but I really don't care what brand you buy.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...00P?sid=IDxCMDFx20140801x001&KPID=00947641000
Ours look just like yours and it made it easy for ours.
if your boat is like ours the stainless screws are threaded into an aluminum piece buried in the glass. Be sure to chase the threads with a tap afterword and then put anitsieze on the threads before you run them back down.
Ken

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
if your boat is like ours the stainless screws are threaded into an aluminum piece buried in the glass.
Mine has a ≈2x6" SS plate as a load spreader the had a hull molded flat spot to match.

I was thinking that the "hammer" might break the suspected 5200. Every drawing on my boat shows 5200 was spec'd.
I don't think I have to remove the bolts to seal them again with butyl tape. The base of the bracket is not very large
I am not planning to use 5200 again, but lock washers and drop of Locktite on the nut.
Any other redo suggestions would be welcome too.

I just eMailed all my "buddies" to find out who has a impact screw driver.

you need a buddy to back up the screw head while you turn the nut from below
I have no friends!:liar:
That will be a feat to back up the nut, lose and tight, but they are visible and reachable.:dancing:
Great Input from All! Thanks!
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
way too many plums
Today is diet "Cheat' day:biggrin:
The Admiral fixed a scrumptious breakfast. Burp! NO PLUMS. :p

I will pass by on Tuesday...

Harbor Freight Store
BILOXI, MS #00275
290 EISENHOWER DR.
BILOXI,MS 39531
228-385-9204

@kloudie1 , the same $9 set from them is $12 from Amazon at $50 minimum freight free. Amazon is now more expensive than local. No contest.

Are the bits for the impact screwdriver the same as an insert bit for a drill or ratchet?
Jim...

PS: @woodster you pass right by that store on the way to Ken's Hardware! BTW should be renamed to Dusty Marine Store, albeit a bit dusty, they even sell used equipment.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
PS: @woodster you pass right by that store on the way to Ken's Hardware! BTW should be renamed to Dusty Marine Store, albeit a bit dusty, they even sell used equipment.
hate to burst your bubble JG...they have dusted it down and painted the floors ...i felt lost thought they may have sold it but not it does look a lot better now than before

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
James.. the thing has a half inch drive square that ya can use with sockets, and it has an adapter to drive the 8mm hex tips. The 8mm tips are bigger than normal "screwdriver hexes (about 6mm), but it comes with a #2 and a #3 Phillips .. Seems like the #2 is about right for most boat sized Phillips stuff

Last edited:

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
I have used the impact screwdriver on brake callipers. Works great. But I am afraid that hitting it hard, as you must, will cause other damage to the boat. No?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
will cause other damage to the boat. No?
Glad you replied BayMan, I should have followed up.
I bought a cheap set and was about to use it, when my son-in-law went out and bought a top of line powered one that has a torque setting.
So we tried the first one suspected of the leak (port side amidships).

The Good News...
The pair of bolts holding the post, broke out by hand

The Bad News...
A stream of water spewed out of them!o_O

Anyone know what is under that ridge that could hold water?

The support bracket screws broke the OEM 5200 easily and no damage.
Jim...

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
James, if you have access to the nut inside the boat, why are you trying to turn the screw at all? Could you not break the threads loose at the nut alone, just having your helper hold the screw from turning on-deck (as Woodster suggested)? After the nut is removed, you can worry about how to get the screw out of the deck. As far a re-bedding, I suggest referring to MaineSail's excellent posts about re-bedding deck hardware using Butyl Tape - http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

Since your the inboard stanchions probably go through core, you may have water intrusion issues, so may want to do some drying and re-potting prior to re-installation. Sorry to insult, if you already have that in mind.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've been trying to break my 4 headsail track end cap screws with an impact screwdriver. So far no luck. Enough of the caps are broken away so that I can drip 'rust buster' into the threads. I'm hoping over time this combination will work. I don't want to hit the impact driver too hard and cause damage below. I will properly bed these if I ever get them off.
That stanchion presents a worse problem since you can't get to the threads. Let us know if you succeed

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Sorry to insult,
Never an insult to review thoughts and ideas.:thumbup: It stimulates alternatives to any fix.
_______
I have not checked all of the stanchion support bolts, but Hunter did provide access to them so far, albeit a pain to get to them. It appears they are threaded through a Fiberglass embedded a backer plate (no nuts) but In one occasion, there is a interior molded in flat area for an additional force spreading (plate washer) backing nuts used.
_______
Yep, Maine Sail pointed me there too. I happened to have a roll, since we use it for sealing seams on metal roof installations.
______
Best info I could find said Hunter used 5200 on all seals. It was that "break out" torque I was concerned about.
_______
I am now very concerned about the water found inside the mounting "hump" on the main posts. If I find wood, I will inject anti- wood rot chemicals to stop bacterial degradation. If it is FRP then no biggie.

Thanks for the feedback....
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am now very concerned about the water found inside the mounting "hump" on the main posts. If I find wood, I will inject anti- wood rot chemicals to stop bacterial degradation. If it is FRP then no biggie.
The Bad News...
A stream of water spewed out of them!o_O

Anyone know what is under that ridge that could hold water?

From inside the hollow stanchion post!:yikes:

The mounting "hump" is a deck drainage dam for waves and rain. Nothing but Fiberglass and no wood. Therefore leaks around those bolts flow between the hull and inner cabin walls to a "non used" bilge.

That was "ancient water" from hose downs, rain and waves, entering through the life line connections.:doh:

All bolts broke out with any damage and all were evidently threaded in a back up plate and no nuts.

Butyl rubber tape used as new seals.
Jim...