Stainless question

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Clearing out my mom’s house and the admiral comes across a fish poacher. An oblong stainless steel pan with a rack inside. Only thing is it has a pinhole leak a few inches from the bottom. Any ideas for a fix? J.B. weld?, epoxy? Has to be food safe and take heat...Google is not helping except for a TIG weld...

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I agree with google, tig would be best. Silicone would be easiest and cheapest. I sure miss the shop at work when I need to do things like that. Not chemist enough to know if J.B. Weld is food safe or not.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I agree with the weld. You can have it welded, though I thought you Could weld stainless. Then of course grind it smooth and polish it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I agree with google, tig would be best. Silicone would be easiest and cheapest. I sure miss the shop at work when I need to do things like that. Not chemist enough to know if J.B. Weld is food safe or not.
I'm a chemist. Answer.... NOT! go with a weld.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
You can weld it. Gtaw (tig) would work no problem. It's likely a 304 stainless steel. Welds quite readily.

dj

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Smack the hole or the surrounding area, might close the hole so it does not leak? Put a screw in it?

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
If the material is thin and you decide to have it TIG welded, make sure the welder has experience with thin material. Or you will have a really big hole.
I like the smacking suggestion:plus:

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Mark, Rail Makers in Everett works with SS all the time and could fix that hole in a jiffy. Call them first to make sure. They do first rate work.