stainless cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Dear Fourpoints:

The finish dulling I observed was on the ss backside of a check block that before the oxalic acid was really shiny -- except for the little bid of rust around a weld spot. After the acid the rust was gone. But also the shiny adjacent surface was converted to much duller metal gray.

I did not take a picture of this because the difference just wouldn't have been picked up by a camera. But yes, I've got to learn the close-up focussing technique on my camera better. The close-up mode seems to be tempermental. This time, the background surface is in perfect focus but the object is a bit bluring. Anyway, the pics do show: Rust before ... No rust after.
after reading Maine's latest post, I don't think I'll be trying the oxalic acid on the stainless anytime soon. Makes sense too as I scrubbed my deck with water / oxyclean mix (suggested by the yard when I bought the boat, I guess it has a small amount of oxalic acid in it, I don't have any nearby to verify this though), and the base of the pulpit has rust stains around it now that I haven't been able to get out too easily. I am going to try the stainless cleaner, and hope that it leaves the stainless in a better condition than the oxyclean

as far as the camera goes, mine takes great macro shots, as long as the camera is zoomed all the way out. if I zoom it in even a tiny bit, it will not focus on anything.

Maine, thanks for the info. super informative as always...

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
I also use Spotless Stainless. It works magnificently well and is real easy. Just brush it on and cover to keep it wet. In 20 minutes, voila no rust!
PS it does like the heat, temps below 70 are a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.