stack-pak issues

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
We were able to raise the main yesterday without an issue...but re-reading the above two replies, I cannot see how we would add slack to the lazy jacks without having a ladder on our cabin top..the lazy jack lines are connected well above the boat at the mast then the lines comedown to a connection point several / 3 to 4 feet above the boom, then they attach to the mast above that....I can raise the topping lift however and put slack in the whole system including the boom, and the lazy jacks...any thoughts are appreciated as always...by the way.. there is not a cleat on the boom..there are adjustment rings for the lazy jacks well above the boom, but that would be a bit treacherous to adjust...btw....this is the connection point I refer to abovePatrick
Need a photo or 2. I think all Lazy jacks have to have some way to adjust. Otherwise you could not raise ( or lower, more accurately) the boom.

Greg

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Shane, we have the Chapman's Piloting on our boat....brought it from home today....take it over the weekend and keep it as long as you want....see you this weekend ......Patrick

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have a hard copy. What I needed was a computer version. And, I have gotten that. But, thanks.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
no croquet laddie.....but I do need a topping lift upgrade.....Patrick

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
good-looking boat above in Alberta..!!!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Two choices:
Simple and suboptimal: Convert your forward jackline to an adjustable with a trucker’s hitch and adjust your lazy jack tension there.
Elegant: Run your lazyjack lift line to the mast and back down to a cleat near the gooseneck.
Tweak suggestion: Place shroud clamps at your spread tips and use your spreaders to accept the lazyjack lift line, then back down to cleat. This opens your lazyjack “throat” and makes it easy to raise and lower your battened sail.

Forget about using your topping lift to adjust your lazyjack.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Elegant: Run your lazyjack lift line to the mast and back down to a cleat near the gooseneck.
Perfect: Run the lazyjack control line back to cockpit and secure with Spinlock PXR cleat.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If you route your jack line to your spreaders rather than to the mast you won’t need to adjust your jack lines until you get ready to zip or unzip your sail bag. The will always have adequate clearance for the sail going up or down.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Assuming you have lazy jacks....the easy solution might be to add onto or replace the lower jack lines. don't make the jacks fast to the pack, but use a ss or brass snap hook. Tie a figure of 8 with loop on the jack lines and hooks to bitter ends. Jack lines should be increased in overall length by approx 2 feet. Bitter end with hook passes thru grommets and up to loop at the "8" when stowed. Release the hook from loop and immediately hook onto jack line BELOW the "8". This allows it to slide down to the pack, slacken the jacks and provide a wider opening. Rick

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
The lines run from the sail cover to rings about 3 feet above the boom, then they travel to the mast about 14 feet or so above the deck....maybe more actually...the only easy way to provide slack is to adjust the topping lift, which is done by rising the topping lift from it's adjustment on the port side of the mast, about 2 feet above the deck.....by pulling the topping lift it raises the boom and sails and puts slack in the actual lazy jacks.....using the topping lift in this way (i.e. to raise the boom) has now
'eaten away' the topping lift line at the aft end of the boom...so now I have to replace that control line before going any further...a mess...! Patrick

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My solution hasn’t been posted yet. I use a WinchRite to raise the main - one hand on the WR the other on the boom. I push they boom around to avoid Battons and lazy jacks tangling.

Les

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Looking at the photo above of the 272 you will note the only easy way to put slack in the lazy jacks is to raise the boom using the topping lift on the side of the mast.....there are no cleats on the side of the boom where the lazy jacks can be connected...
thus the topping lift...?? Pat

jcb2

Jun 5, 2012
Oday 31 Bayville, NJ
Pat, How did you resolve your problem? I liked “sailme88’s” advice. I plan to use his/her idea on my ODay 31.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Heather is really good on ladders.....esp. boarding ladders after falling in the water.. Patrick