Stabilizing 33 pound claw anchor on bow roller

Apr 5, 2019
Catalina 315 71 Pensacola, FL
Hi everyone. . I am new to the group. I have had a big frustration with a problem I can’t solve. I’m hoping someone here can help!

I purchased a new Catalina 315 (hull #71). The chain/rope/chain gypsy would not work with the specified 1/2 inch polyester line (or with other numerous lines tried) braided to the 5/16 inch chain. Part of the problem is that there is quite an angle from the port side of the windless where the gypsy is located, to the starboard bow roller. Windlass manufacturer and my rigger concluded, after consultation, the best option was to go to all chain, and use the port bow roller for proper alignment . But the lid for the anchor well is not set up with opening on port side, which will not allow me to tension on the chain and anchor. As a consequence, the anchor is quite loose. I cannot stabilize it with a line to a cleat and/or stanchion base. That is, I am unable to pull it tight enough to make the anchor flush with the stock bow roller. To stabilize previously, I tightened the chain so that the anchor was firmly tight on the starboard bow roller until the anchor was immobilized.

My anchor is a 33 pound claw, which is a Lewmar knock off of the Bruce. It is as if there is a mismatch between the size of the anchor roller and the anchor, but I’m not sure that’s the case. The design of the anchor, if that is the case, would require a very large bow roller which would not fit. So that line of thinking is barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance.
Jim Larson

Apr 5, 2019
Catalina 315 71 Pensacola, FL
Hi everyone. . I am new to the group. I have had a big frustration with a problem I can’t solve. I’m hoping someone here can help!

I purchased a new Catalina 315 (hull #71). The chain/rope/chain gypsy would not work with the specified 1/2 inch polyester line (or with other numerous lines tried) braided to the 5/16 inch chain. Part of the problem is that there is quite an angle from the port side of the windless where the gypsy is located, to the starboard bow roller. Windlass manufacturer and my rigger concluded, after consultation, the best option was to go to all chain, and use the port bow roller for proper alignment . But the lid for the anchor well is not set up with opening on port side, which will not allow me to tension on the chain and anchor. As a consequence, the anchor is quite loose. I cannot stabilize it with a line to a cleat and/or stanchion base. That is, I am unable to pull it tight enough to make the anchor flush with the stock bow roller. To stabilize previously, I tightened the chain so that the anchor was firmly tight on the starboard bow roller until the anchor was immobilized.

My anchor is a 33 pound claw, which is a Lewmar knock off of the Bruce. It is as if there is a mismatch between the size of the anchor roller and the anchor, but I’m not sure that’s the case. The design of the anchor, if that is the case, would require a very large bow roller which would not fit. So that line of thinking is barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance.
Jim Larson

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Install an anchor stop with a pin to the side in order to secure the anchor chain tight on deck. Remove the pin before deploying. No need to put the strain on the windlass.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
A photo of your existing setup would go miles towards coming up with a solution ............. from non Cat owners.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
But the lid for the anchor well is not set up with opening on port side,
Can you change the way the anchor well lid opens? Move it to ope on the port side?
Pictures might help others think about your problem and develop a solution.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My boat came with the Bruce, but I have since gone to a Delta and then a Manson Supreme. What worked well for all my anchors was to install a snap-over-center tie down for the chain that pulls the chain tight and secures it. I mounted it on the forward bulkhead of the anchor locker, just below the cutout on the locker cover. In addition, I tie a short line through the anchor eye and the stem fitting for the fore stay for added security.
Welcome to the Catalina family!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
That's similar to what I use, yes. Mine doesn't have a pin, but it should, since it has popped loose once or twice.
I just run a small line from the cleat at the aft end of the locked thru the end of the anchor and back to the cleat. Holds the anchor tightly, easy to install remove, costs nothing. Or maybe I’m missing the question?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I just run a small line from the cleat at the aft end of the locked thru the end of the anchor and back to the cleat. Holds the anchor tightly, easy to install remove, costs nothing. Or maybe I’m missing the question?
As I understood the issue, the OP can't run a line from the anchor to cleats, etc., to tension anchor chain, so this, I think, is a solution to keeping the anchor chain tight and the anchor in place on the roller. I also keep a small line on the stem fitting to tie through the anchor eye for additional security.

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Two marine bungies with stainless hooks. Fast, simple, inexpensive, and safe.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Uummm... Post 11, are you using that rope gypsie to handle the chain?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Uummm... Post 11, are you using that rope gypsie to handle the chain?
No. I have had to manually haul the chain in by hand. With the Admiral on the throttle, I haul in the slack until the chain is vertical, then secure the chain on a cleat while the wife powers up to break the anchor loose from the bottom. Then I haul the chain up through the bow roller. So far, we haven't anchored in very deep water, so this part has been manageable.