st 4000 and rudder position

john2

Nov 26, 2022
Catalina 310 58 Leimuiden
When my auto pilot is on i have rudder position on the display, in standby mode it stops.
is this an easy fix adding a rudder position meter? I would like to have it also on the display in standby mode.
John

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A piece of tape at TDC on the wheel works for me. Some prefer a Turk's Head knot.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
A piece of tape at TDC on the wheel works for me. Some prefer a Turk's Head knot.
That's hardly high tech, commensurate with the demands of today's electronics. And far worse than that in today's economy, is the fact that IT'S FREE. And we all know where that leads to.

Keep going with that line thinking and pretty soon we'll all be out there navigating by the stars, like a bunch of ancient Phoenicians.

1688145585293.png

Jan 11, 2014
That's hardly high tech, commensurate with the demands of today's electronics. And far worse than that in today's economy, is the fact that IT'S FREE. And we all know where that leads to.

Keep going with that line thinking and pretty soon we'll all be out there navigating by the stars, like a bunch of ancient Phoenicians.
I betcha I got more high tech stuff on my boat than yours. Last count we had 8 or 9 GPS and a bunch of other stuff including paper charts and hockey puck compasses.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
When my auto pilot is on i have rudder position on the display, in standby mode it stops.
is this an easy fix adding a rudder position meter?
Have the same problem with my Raymarine Evo-100 / 4000+ wheel pilot. Only get the graphic display when pilot is engaged and I do have a rudder reference indicator installed. Never could get it resolved thru Raymarine. Use @dlochner "hi-tech" tape at TDC and really don't need the graphic display. Would prefer the "hi tech" Turk's head; however, haven't figured out how to tie one, yet! :cool:

Jan 11, 2014
Have the same problem with my Raymarine Evo-100 / 4000+ wheel pilot. Only get the graphic display when pilot is engaged and I do have a rudder reference indicator installed. Never could get it resolved thru Raymarine. Use @dlochner "hi-tech" tape at TDC and really don't need the graphic display. Would prefer the "hi tech" Turk's head; however, haven't figured out how to tie one, yet! :cool:

Another method is to adjust the steering cables so that one spoke of the 5 spokes is vertical when the rudder is centered. This makes it very easy to see how much rudder is being applied and how much weather helm there is.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA

Another method is to adjust the steering cables so that one spoke of the 5 spokes is vertical when the rudder is centered.
Dave, I much prefer the "hi tech" tape method; however, I plan to view the animated knots link. Hopefully, something will click in my low tech mind and enable me to get the Turk's head tied to add that nautical touch. My rudder & wheel spoke pretty much line up at TDC. The PO applied the tape approximately 16 years ago and it is still functional! :p

Jan 11, 2014
Dave, I much prefer the "hi tech" tape method; however, I plan to view the animated knots link. Hopefully, something will click in my low tech mind and enable me to get the Turk's head tied to add that nautical touch. My rudder & wheel spoke pretty much line up at TDC. The PO applied the tape approximately 16 years ago and it is still functional! :p
If you want to go really super hi-tech, put a wrap of red tape on the port side of the spoke and a wrap of green on the starboard. ;):beer:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I had problems with the control head recognizing the rudder reference and got this respnse from RayMarine.
You might try this song and dance to see if it helps:

"However, automatic transducer detection and rudder bar display won't occur unless enabled in Dealer Setup. This is an undocumented requirement from Raymarine. The setup sequence is as follows...

1. Install and connect transducer.
  2. Enter Dealer Setup mode by pressing & holding Standby for 14 seconds.
  3. Press +1/-1 simultaneously to get Cal Lock screen.
  4. Press Disp to get Pilot Type screen.
  5. Use +1/-1 to change type to a different pilot type, any type.
  6. Press Standby for two seconds to save setting and exit Dealer Setup.
  7. Repeat Dealer Setup mode, change back to correct pilot type (wheel or tiller,) exit Dealer Setup.
  8. Enter User Setup mode by pressing & holding Standby for 2 seconds.
  9. Press Disp five times to change to the Bar Selection screen.
  10. Press +1/-1 to select "Rudd Bar" or "Steer Bar".
  11. Press Standby for two seconds to save setting and exit User Setup.
  12. Power down and back up.
  13. Rudder reference transducer should now be detected and displayed on the screen":redface::redface:

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I got more high tech stuff on my boat than yours. Last count we had 8 or 9 GPS and a bunch of other stuff including paper charts
Dear Sir,

We regret to inform you that paper charts cannot be included as "high tech stuff" as historical records show they were used as far back as the early Phoenicians.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had problems with the control head recognizing the rudder reference and got this respnse from RayMarine.
You might try this song and dance to see if it helps:

"However, automatic transducer detection and rudder bar display won't occur unless enabled in Dealer Setup. This is an undocumented requirement from Raymarine. The setup sequence is as follows...

1. Install and connect transducer.
  2. Enter Dealer Setup mode by pressing & holding Standby for 14 seconds.
  3. Press +1/-1 simultaneously to get Cal Lock screen.
  4. Press Disp to get Pilot Type screen.
  5. Use +1/-1 to change type to a different pilot type, any type.
  6. Press Standby for two seconds to save setting and exit Dealer Setup.
  7. Repeat Dealer Setup mode, change back to correct pilot type (wheel or tiller,) exit Dealer Setup.
  8. Enter User Setup mode by pressing & holding Standby for 2 seconds.
  9. Press Disp five times to change to the Bar Selection screen.
  10. Press +1/-1 to select "Rudd Bar" or "Steer Bar".
  11. Press Standby for two seconds to save setting and exit User Setup.
  12. Power down and back up.
  13. Rudder reference transducer should now be detected and displayed on the screen":redface::redface:
What is “Steer bar”?

My rudder position is visible all of the time.

Greg

john2

Nov 26, 2022
Catalina 310 58 Leimuiden
thanks, for the info. i'm placing a rudder sensor and see if it works.

John

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
What is the advantage of knowing the rudder position? I don’t have it on my boat, no sensor.
cheers