Spring is coming -- some day.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
We had a teaser late March. Everybody at my club got excited about putting our boats in early. Well that dream came to an abrupt end as cold weather from Canada ( lets blame the Canadians) has come crashing down to NY. "Polar Vortex" was a buzz word for weather forecasters this past winter.

Anyway, I got some work started on # 427. Keel had some of the gellcoat/fiberglass breaking off. I cleaned the surface and filled in with "Bondo" Needs to be sanded smooth. But weather put a halt that project. I removed the keel guides to give me easier access to the keel. Plan on using VC-17 on the keel since all the old paint has been sanded off.

The rest of the bottom --- well I am letting mother nature gradually take the excess of bottom paint off, a little each year. It is amazing how thick some people let bottom paint build up. I swear on some boats it seems to be 1/4" thick -- and rough.

Converting to a hank on system this year. The roller furling jib was getting old and I wasn't to thrilled with the roller furling system anyway. wife got me a new headstay for Christmas :) I wonder how she knew? I have a "like new" 155 Genoa and a like new 120+-. I guess the previous owner purchased the roller furling system after he had his boat a year or two.
Wife also got me a sailgate. All I need now is warmer temperatures.

Hershey

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Finally the stars aligned, was home during the weekend, no rain, 45F so I could do some spring cleaning....

Cleaned the hull and got rid of some water stain close to the waterline, scraped some barnacles off, cleaned everything topside, cleaned the former fuel locker (now use electric outboard...), cleaned the battery locker and replaced old gasket, fixed some hairline cracks, resealed the stem fitting.

Felt good finally to do some stuff.....

Still need to polish hull, replace interior lights with LED lights, attach new names on both sides, replace cockpit stanchions, install tiller tamer, add labels to sheets, add boom topping lift, and plenty of other small and bigger projects (install compass, solar vent, stationary marine radio, redo striping, upgrade bow eye, install sail cradle, install 2nd battery and additional interior LED lights, install vhf antenna).

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Switched out interior lights with LED versions tonight. Put a small temp 12v battery information a test.
Used some electric self fusing tape to fix mast wire socket until I replace the whole thing eventually.

Plan on taking Friday off to finish most of the todo list as it will be sunny in the mid 60's....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Took today off.

Added name, tiller tamer and than I replaced the bow eye as it was bend slightly and the wood backing block on the inside had some rot. Replaced with Catalina Direct upgrade kit.Took me 6 hours to get the wood block out. Had to chisel tiny bits away...... Argh.....

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Replaced the 2 cockpit stanchions today...Fixed spreader boots with new self fusing tape. Getting into the groove....

Got my dock assignment. Gotta get the boat in the water.....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Hey just realized that I joined at 11:39p which is my hull/sail number.... What a coincidence.....

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I'm getting closer myself.
I got small projects done... VC17m coat on the bottom (gotta do other side of rudder now)
fixed the rubber stopper on the swim ladder
Installed a RAM3 mike near the skippers station.
Put another layer of gelcoat on the port side (still needs more work, but that'll do for now)
removed all the rope clutches from the port coach roof... overdrilled (no rotted or wet core despite someone using household silicone to seal it), filled with resin, and installed triple rope clutch.
wet sanded, compouned, and POLIGLOWED the boat... looks pretty good.

I just need to install an electric bilge pump (will place the pump first, but not hook it up until after in the water)... just want to get the drilling part done for the exit hose first.

I have been debating poliglow on the deck... I think I might do it... I've heard mixed results on it, but they make a stripper if it doesn't work out.

How the boat looked before Poliglow (this was after compound/polish and wax)

Present look of the boat with 5 coats of Poliglow:

And before you say it, yes it's NOT a Capri 22

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Good to be busy.... Will bring down the boat to the marina on Wednesday for the initial mast raising/rigging and systems check. Plan on doing that myself in the future. Need to build an A-frame first. Had no tine for polishing but hull is acceptably shiny enough...

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Neah, your boat looks great!

A-frame is decidedly simple to build, but honestly the Capri 22 its almost not necessary. If you have 2 sets of hands to raise, no need for the A-frame. Now if you have the tall mast, I suppose it may be necessary.

Yeah my hope was to splash tomorrow too, just not sure I wanna take the day to do it. Was gonna take Thursday, but showing 18-28mph gusts, and I just don't wanna do that for my first sail out (want my rigging to settle in first before I punish it and myself). So maybe tomorrow is the best time.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
HERSH I hear you and I was IN the same camp.

However, I have 2 things working against me... TIME (age of the boat, as well as how much I have available), and Proof that I was wrong (and believe it, I actually can be swayed by facts).

You see, I spent last Spring sanding, wet sanding, compounding, polishing, compounding some more, polishing, compounding some more, polishing, and waxing my boat, and waxing it again, and waxing it again... and honestly was never real impressed with how it turned out. Yes I used power tools, and yes I used elbow grease too.. I got a reasonable finish on the starboard side, but the port was terrible (nothing will fix the port side)... by the middle of July the wax looked like 10 miles of bad road and was chalking up again.

Then I had a conversation with a buddy of mine who has the EXACT same boat (same year, make, model, and color). He also keeps his boat indoors all winter (like me), and slips his boat about 100 feet away from mine for 5 months out of the year. His boat LOOKS FANTASTIC (granted, he started with nicer gelcoat). I asked him what he does... he said, POLIGLOW... OK, I gave him my misgivings (that were yours)... and he said, REALLY? I've been using it for 6 years now! He goes if it starts to yellow, I use the poli stripper, wipe it all off and start again. He goes I've done that once... he said last 2 years he's just added a layer of poliglow, Poli-clean first, then add a layer.

Once Again I am not saying anything you say is wrong, but I hope it is. However, maybe its not (and mind you, I'll dig up this thread this time next year to follow up). But here is my take. The port side of my boat is SO BAD, that I need to basically add a complete layer of gelcoat back to it.... let it harden, then sand it all back down again, to get the look back to where it should be. I won't do that this Summer, but this Fall (after haulout) cause I'm not missing good sailing time. So if the Poliglow looks like hell at the end of the season, it's coming off (cause it has to anyway on the port side - for the gelcoat job)! If it still looks even slightly acceptable (a low bar trust me), I'll probably do it again, and only have to do the one side then.

It took about 2 hours to clean the hull, wipe it down, and poliglow 5 coats to the boat (with a beer in one hand). I probably put 40 hours of hard work (two hands and no beer involved) into waxing the hull last season for results that frankly were not real dramatic. Its a quality of life thing. Now if I have to put 35 hours of work into removing it... then I'll be contacting the company, and I'll tilt at windmills to remove it from the earth!

I'm steadfastly in the camp of whatever makes my life easier. I thought I'd put a couple seasons into trying to bring this boats gelcoat back to life (I've already stuck it out more than I thought I would)... because this boat has a pleasantly normal white with blue gelcoat (my Capri 25 was a steadfastly UGLY baby blue, so it had to go, and I painted it red)... But if push comes to shove, I'll paint the boat, and the heck with compounding, polishing waxing, and frankly gelcoat :)

So Hersh, usually I agree with you, but I hope you are wrong, but I'm willing to take the hit to see... and I'm decidedly in a wait and see on this. So far, I like how easy it was to apply, and the result provided a pretty dramatic "first impression."

Mar 11, 2014
Projects are ongoing. Given how spring has arrived I thought I'd share a couple of photos from this past Sunday's Race.

The Photo of the boat in the distance shows my lead in the race up until the wind died... but not for him.... Gotta love lake sailing.

Sorry I'd yet to figure out how to get the photos to be aligned so turn your head...

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
I'm IN, I'm IN, and I'm the 2nd guy in (he beat me by 24 hours), and it was only the 20th of April (approximately 2 weeks earlier than we officially open).
This is the best this buggy has looked yet... Pretty proud of how the boat is shaping up.

YES the boat slips are THAT tight (about 6 inches of room on either side).

New mainsail, new boomcover, new rope clutches... yeah she's really starting to shine for a 34 year old boat! Every year she gets JUST a little bit better.

Took a quick 1 hour sail (I had to get back home for a Weight Watchers meeting, I'm down another 3 lbs, and overall down 68lbs so had to get to the meeting to prove it). My docklines are atrocious, and some of my running rigging is quite ugly (genoa sheets, vang, traveler, and backstay adjuster)... so I'll be nicking away at those over the coming weeks.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Great looking boat. I made it to the yard yesterday for final prep. Getting closer to the water.... Should be in by next week.

Attachments

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Well;

I just fired up my 1987 Johnson 2 cylinder 2 stroke 4 hp after a long winters nap.
At 35 lbs it cannot be beat.

New spark plugs will be going in. I got two seasons of the last set, A cleaning would probably be good enough.
But --- I like an outboard which starts on first pull ..... every time.

Hershey

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Sorry I couldn't resist. No pulling for me. Just gently moving the throttle for or aft....

Hershey said:
Well;

I just fired up my 1987 Johnson 2 cylinder 2 stroke 4 hp after a long winters nap.
At 35 lbs it cannot be beat.

New spark plugs will be going in. I got two seasons of the last set, A cleaning would probably be good enough.
But --- I like an outboard which starts on first pull ..... every time.

Hershey

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Oooh, my 35 year old 7.5hp Evenrude, 2 stroke Yachtwin... pulled the plugs, cleaned them... plugged in some ancient 50:1 in the tank, 1 pull and fired right up.

Love that stinky old motor (smokes up good when its cold). Quiet, powerful, and runs like a top (and original to the boat)... A full 3 gallon tank (original non-rusted metal tank) will have the motor running for about 6 hours straight at 3/4 throttle... at hull speed. Motor weighs in at about 55lbs.

Great story...
Last year, I hadn't fired the thing up... took the boat down, and I motor over to my slip THEN I raise the mast. This because we have trees overgrown over the launch ramp (no way to raise mast THEN launch).

Anyway, so I HAVE to motor first. I launched the boat. Tied it to the dock, hopped aboard, and Pulled the starter, and the coil came off in my hand (motor was running)... Dockmaster said are you OK? I said YEP... motors running! Drove it all the way over to the dock (without stalling)... let it run for another 20-30 minutes (to purge bad gas)... came back the next day, respooled up the coil... and away I went. 1 pull start with a broken starter coil... gotta love that.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Checked on my boat in the yard. Bottom paint is on. They only need to move the boat stands to finish the job. Looks like the mast was checked out as well (electric)...

Hope to go wet next Saturday....

Attachments

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Looks good,

I plan on launching mine next Saturday or Sunday.

Would you translate your boat name for those of us whose German is quite rusty :)

Is your boat going to be on a mooring or at a slip?

Hershey

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Hershey said:
Looks good,

I plan on launching mine next Saturday or Sunday.

Would you translate your boat name for those of us whose German is quite rusty :)

Is your boat going to be on a mooring or at a slip?

Hershey
Boat will be at a docking space in the municipal marina in Mamaroneck....(thank god).

"Heinrich der Löwe" is a famous character from the Middle Ages also known as "Henry the Lion". His home base was Braunschweig (or Brunswick in English) the city I grew up.

See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_the_Lion