Spring Cruise - 2019

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now that I am “semi” retired (who wants to dive in to the deep end if not necessary) the question of time is one I wonder about.

Talking about weather, it looks like the sails will fill beginning the 5th of April. It may prove to be some nice sailing weather for a few days. Sunny and dry? Maybe some of the time.

I note that the start for Les was a peaceful calm on the Juan D Fuca strait.

Sailing weather will be nice to see.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Four more days, but who's counting? Rather than head north, Deception Pass likely a shorter route to Barlow Bay. Makes more sense if I need to get there by the sixth.

Hey Les, can you arrange to have some French vanilla ice-cream in the freezer at grandma's house? Jut say'n. If you have an eight by ten baking pan and some Bisquick pancake flour that would help, too. I have both on the boat if needed.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have no transportation. Maybe John will want to leave his boat at the dock (as per usual:poke:) and drive his car up there.

Dec 25, 2000
Cool Whip works, just not as tasty. I'll bring some of that.

Oct 22, 2014
Oh you are so funny... I am in stitches... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Why not pick up some of that Canadian Ice Cream and pop it in your boat freezer..
Do I have to think of everything?:deadhorse:

Oct 22, 2014
Now since the wind will be in my sails, I will be sailing my way to Lopez.
Terry, when are you thinking of leaving on the 6th. I am thinking I'll need to get an early start to make it though Deception before the current gets strong.

Dec 25, 2000
Terry, when are you thinking of leaving on the 6th. I am thinking I'll need to get an early start to make it though Deception before the current gets strong.
Hi John, I'm planning on casting off from Shelter Bay around 10:00 A.M., reaching Deception Pass slack flood at 11:24 A.M. on April 6. Slack flood is also at 11:42 P.M. with the slack ebb at 5:12 a.m. and 5:42 P.M.

Port Townsend tides on April 6:
High - 5:38 A.M. and 6:35 P.M.
Low - 11:39 A.M. and 11:49 P.M.

A bit tricky from Everett to Deception Pass via Saratoga given the slack times. Maybe consider following the last few hours or so of the ebb to Double Bluff, then catch the flood from there to Lopez.

Dec 25, 2000
I will be sailing my way to Lopez.
The other consideration, if through Deception Pass, is to follow the flood up Saratoga on Friday, layover in Coronet Bay and time your passage through at the slack flood time on Saturday. Just some more thoughts.

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks. Lots to do on Friday. Sails, boat prep etc. we will see what I get accomplished. I’ll let you know what progress I make.

Oct 22, 2014
Interestingly the distance via Decpetion vs about 48NM and Admiralty Inlet about 54NM.
With the breeze out of the SE it favors a sail up the Saratoga. Your suggestion of a Friday departure favors the ride of a flood tide up the Saratoga. So currently I am going to try and all my work done Friday AM and once the diver finishes the bottom and installs a new zinc I will attempt to leave Friday. There are a few maintenance tasks to do before I can until the lines. We will see. Maybe I can get it all accomplished and we can scream through Decpetion on the Saturday morning breeze together.

Dec 25, 2000
Maybe I can get it all accomplished and we can scream through Decpetion on the Saturday morning breeze together.
That would be great. Keep me posted. I'll turn my cell phone on (425/870-6923) Friday afternoon when I head north for Shelter Bay where it will remain on until I'm back home the following Saturday, April 13.

They'll just call us the scream'n demons, eh? Oops, sorry Michael and Stu. He he.

Interestingly the distance via Decpetion vs about 48NM and Admiralty Inlet about 54NM.
The greater distance is due to the additional miles down and around Possession Point before heading north, I suspect.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Oops. Correct cell phone number is 425/870-6923. Fat fingers.

Dec 25, 2000
Appears that Tom Burgess will miss our rendezvous. Still nursing a cold and has some boat grounding issues...don't we all.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Everyone between Thatchers Pass and East Sound got boarded today. Not to many boats but they just went down the line..Asked for photo ID, registration, and wanted to see signal device, lifejackets, throwing device. Also wanted to look into the engine “room”..They were not interested in the head or flares. I even asked and they said no..First time I've ever been boarded! Nice guys..Told them they were welcome anytime! Had a few surprised looks at that one..