Spreader End Cap

Oct 21, 2016
Beneteau 323 NH
Hi,
I have a 2004 B323. Last year was my first year with it and over the Winter I store it in a yard where they drop the mast as the haul the boat via truck about a mile from the water. When we launch they re-step the mast but just get it back in place - they don't tune it.

When they dropped it in the Fall I removed the spreaders. Each spreader has an end cap with a screw clamp per the picture. The shroud passes thru the loop in the clamp. When I removed the spreader I don't recall if that clamp was left loose allowing movement or if it was clamped down holding the spreader tip to a fixed spot on the shroud.. Can anyone help me understand the correct way to re-rig that spot?

Thanks,
Russ

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The bolt thru the spreader holds the cap in place.
The bolt at the top of the cap hold the shroud in place. It should be quite tight; so the shroud cannot slip.

If it is the upper (or only) spreader, pull the shroud tight against the mast from the top. Where the shroud crosses the spreader base, that is the EXACT spot to tighten the cap.
If it the lower (of two) spreader, tighten it with a few degrees of up angle,

12619662-13F5-47B6-8E4E-D1639BC818B9.jpeg

F5FBCED7-C5A3-45D6-9B4A-0FF5F557D63C.jpeg

Oct 21, 2016
Beneteau 323 NH
Jack,
Only one spreader. So you are saying run the shroud along the mast (pulling tight), note where the shroud bisects the spreader base mounting point, and that is the point on the shroud to clamp in the cap, yes? Given trigonometry it sounds like a bit of upward pressure on the spreader would be required to make that happen. Have I got that right?
Russ

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jack,
Only one spreader. So you are saying run the shroud along the mast (pulling tight), note where the shroud bisects the spreader base mounting point, and that is the point on the shroud to clamp in the cap, yes? Given trigonometry it sounds like a bit of upward pressure on the spreader would be required to make that happen. Have I got that right?
Russ
Absolutely correct. The spreader should bisect shroud so the angles between it and each side of the shroud are the same. Doing that trick will guarantee that. And yes it will angle slightly up, as it is supposed to. You'll find its very happy being there.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The upward pull is to allow for tensioning as the shrouds are tuned from the turnbuckles at deck level. You don't want to pull your spreaders downward as you tune because then the forces can cause the spreaders to collapse downward. The tension placed on the shrouds as the mast is weighted to one side can show where you may not have enough tension by the dancing of the leeward turnbuckle. If you take up shroud tension as indicated, you don't want your shrouds to turn downward so much they can collapse. The geometry of the shroud angles above and below your spreaders should come closer to equal, not put greater force in the downward direction.

-Will (Dragonfly)