Spinnaker lines go where

May 17, 2015
catalina 27 Salmon Harbor
My spinnaker has two lines attached at the clew, Looks like the 2 sheets on the clew of my jib. The tack has nothing attached. Any idea why? Thanks

May 17, 2015
catalina 27 Salmon Harbor
spinnaker rigging

The top of the spinnaker is a swivel and a stainless ring. The top of the sock is a ss ring too with a block. So both rings get attached to the halyard? Thanks

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The sail's head attaches inside the sock to a ring at the top, below the cover's control line. The halyard clips to the outside of the rig, above the cover's control line block... The halyard lifts the sock with the sail inside. The Control line hoists only the sock.

The spinnaker halyard block is attached to the very front of the masthead, forward of the forestay

The tack line attaches the forward part of the sail to the boat... it should be adjustable.... it can be flown free or secured to the forestay/furled sail.

Here's a helpful link....
http://www.fxsails.com/spinnarticle2.php

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I fly my ASym a little different. I fly it inside the forestay, because my spin halyard leaves the mast below the forestay. The tack is run through a block inside of the furler. Down wind I still let a lot of tack line out (6') and it does it's job. I usually douse the sail to jibe, it's very easy to do. Now if I could find an inexpensive whisker pole....

Cheers

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I fly my ASym a little different. I fly it inside the forestay, because my spin halyard leaves the mast below the forestay. The tack is run through a block inside of the furler. Down wind I still let a lot of tack line out (6') and it does it's job. I usually douse the sail to jibe, it's very easy to do. Now if I could find an inexpensive whisker pole....

Cheers
Sorry but that's wrong. A spin halyard will ALWAYS be above the forestay. If it is not, on one side it will be pulled over the forestay VERY TIGHT and be sawing at something. Do that too long and you will cut your halyard in half, bend your furler, or damage your jib. If what you are using is below you're simply not using a spin halyard. Spare jib halli or a topping lift, but not a spin halyard.

Always above.

NOTE - I just saw you sock the sail to gibe. That will prevent the problem I noted (as the sail goes under the stay and not over), but as general advice to you (and others!) it is important to note that it's still the wrong way to go.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Thought I might get this response. Others in our club do this, including the local sail maker. The racers scoffed at it, not how it's supposed to be done. Makes for a very easy cruise with just 2 on board. I have looked upwards with binoculars and there is no chafing issue. Obviously you do not run the lazy sheet in front of the forestay!

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
DaveJ,

Perhaps this may work well when on a beam reach with the kite, but heading downwind, you really want to rotate it well out in front of the main to windward. There is no way you can do this if it is behind the forestay. If you are using a spin that was cut for your boat, then it most definitely will have a luff that is too loose as it is not being stretched out as much as it was designed to be. With a loose luff, unless it is way over trimmed, the sail will WANT to rotate into the forestay and get smushed out of shape.

Furthermore, a there is no way you can trim a spinnaker correctly if the luff is squished by the forestay as you want to constantly watch for that luff curl. I suggest that if you really want to put on some horsepower downwind, rig a bail to the masthead with a block for a new external halyard.

Just my $.02. YMMV

danvon

Dec 18, 2014
Catalina 27 Seattle
Where does your jib halyard leave the mast? Is it above the forestay? I suspect you are swapping the jib and spinnaker halyards.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Both are below the forestay, I use the top one for the head sail. I'm the 3rd owner of my 310, I guess the original owner set it up this way. Possibly the top exiting halyard should continue up to a block, but the forestay would be in the way????
Suggestions?

Dj

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thought I might get this response. Others in our club do this, including the local sail maker. The racers scoffed at it, not how it's supposed to be done. Makes for a very easy cruise with just 2 on board. I have looked upwards with binoculars and there is no chafing issue. Obviously you do not run the lazy sheet in front of the forestay!

Sorry if I sounded stand-offish. This is a safety issue. It REALLY needs to be above. I'd be interested in talking with your sailmaker who says this is OK.

A masthead rig should have a bale and block on the masthead fitting for a spin halyard.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Both are below the forestay, I use the top one for the head sail. I'm the 3rd owner of my 310, I guess the original owner set it up this way. Possibly the top exiting halyard should continue up to a block, but the forestay would be in the way????
Suggestions?

Dj
The original owner was just trying to avoid going up the stick to install a proper swivel block and purchasing more line for an added external spinnaker halyard. Just because he did it that way doesn't mean you can't change it and make it more efficient and safe.

I don't really get the advantage to a short handed crew if you have to douse the sail to jibe or tack.

danvon

Dec 18, 2014
Catalina 27 Seattle
I'd put a block on the front of the masthead truck. Should be a pin there for it like in the diagram previously posted. That way the spinnaker is outside of everything and above the forestay like it should be. When I did mine, I also found that I needed a cheek block on the side of the mast so that the spinnaker halyard would stay clear of the jib furler (this may/may not be an issue depending on your forestay geometry).