Spinnaker halyard on 272

Jaxn

May 17, 2021
O'Day 272 Percy Priest
I just bought a spinnaker (asym) for my 272 and want to make sure I rig the halyard correctly.

I have the ZSpar mast. There is a crane on the masthead, so I plan to add add swivel block there for the halyard. Currently, there is a halyard with a shackle run to the masthead (spare jib?). There is also an exit sheave on the mast a couple feet down from the masthead.

Should the halyard exit the sheave and go to the swivel block? Or is it supposed to exit at the very top of the mast and then to the swivel block?

picture attached for reference.

20210922_183411.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'd keep it all external. With a cleat on the mast for the foredeck crew to control the hoist, or a turning block at the base to run back to the cockpit. The halyard can be flipped around behind the spreaders to prevent it from slapping the mast while the boat's resting.

You shouldn't need winch assistance for the spin halyard on your 27 footer, but certainly sending it back to the cockpit alongside the main halyard would give access to one....saving a few bucks. Even if you go back to the cockpit, I would still recommend a horn cleat on the mast so a crew can handle the halyard there if desired. With the halyard outside it's a lot easier for the halyard to be "jumped" to provide a rapid hoist. I did this on my 27 footer, i.e. added a mast cleat, to give me those options and it's worked out well. I can hoist from the mast if wanted, then reset the halyard so it can be managed from the cockpit... allowing short handed deck crew to concentrate on gathering the sail or managing the additional hardware if using the symmetrical spinnaker.
Btw, the exit block shown in the picture, below the masthead, might work well for a topping lift should you decide to invest in a spinnaker pole or whisker pole. Plus, looking at the masthead fitting, you are set up for a second halyard ... always good to have. Good luck... have fun.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
You can use that existing halyard for an asym as long as you tack the sail at or behind the stemhead and jibe the sail inside, i.e. aft of the forestay.

If you want to tack the asym ahead of the stemhead, or to use a sprit, or to someday fly a symmetric spinnaker, then you need to hang the halyard off the crane, so you can jibe the spinnaker in front of the forestay, and I would go with Joe's advice above to run it externally.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Joe nailed it. :plus:

On my 35ftr I manage the halyard at the mast. Prep the sheets and tack, everything on fore deck. Hoist sail in sleeve behind the main. Ready the sheets. Hoist the sock. Head for the helm. Set the course, trim the sail sit back and enjoy the beautiful colors.

Jaxn

May 17, 2021
O'Day 272 Percy Priest
Is the advantage of running it external just to reduce noise at rest? Or is there some other benefit I am not understanding.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Is the advantage of running it external just to reduce noise at rest? Or is there some other benefit I am not understanding.
First is its much easier to run externally, but you do then need to tie off the halyard when not in use so it does not slap on the mast. An internal spinnaker halyard would have the same risk of noise as the current internal halyards, all which cannot be tied off. A benefit of external is one can jump the halyard to raise the sail, although you may also be able to do that if the mast has an exit box about eight feet above the deck which you can use for the internal spinnaker halyard.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my O’Day 322, I have an interior run spin halyard. Some PO put an a hit roller up there (instead of a block). I intend to fix that sooner or later (but I only flew the A-spin one time this season).
75F55427-302B-43BE-A114-BF96741E3386.jpeg

My halyard is run back to the Cockpit. My spinnaker is in a sock.

I have set the spinnaker when solo sailing. A fair amount of work, but satisfying when you get the sail full!

Greg

Jaxn

May 17, 2021
O'Day 272 Percy Priest
Some PO put an a hit roller up there (instead of a block).
Do you have the same exit sheave on the front of your mast? I suspect that roller didn't end up there by accident. It looks like without it, there could be a nasty chafe point between the masthead halyard exit and a block hanging from that short crane.

I found an old thread with pictures using the mast sheave. Either way I am going up the mast to attach the swivel block. I may try to run it internally since I can later convert it to external without going back up the mast.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Here is a better shot of my masthead and the roller For the a-spin. I wonder if I could remove the roller, and hang a block off the roller axle? As you can see, it comes off a sheave at the top of the mast.

DDB2560A-7493-41B6-A1C2-D500A8679F37.jpeg

I do have some sort of exit sheave in the front of the mast. No line in it.

760BF02F-3A1E-4691-866B-5E285C8A3B30.jpeg

I agree that the short crane position probably wouldn’t work too well with the halyard coming off the top of the mast.

Greg