Mast head spinnaker halyard block

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
My rigger was up the mast today, putting LED bulbs in, and he said that the spinnaker block at the mast head was not a good design. It's the same as the turning blocks at the base of the mast, which don't deal well with the variable lead angle. He's got some ideas of what to replace it with, but I thought I'd ask what other C310 users have up there, if they use it.

Jun 27, 2013
Beneteau First 285 McFadden Cove Marina, Kaw Lake, OK
I'm just about to replace my masthead sheave. Good luck, I'll let you know if we learn anything from the job.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It's the same as the turning blocks at the base of the mast, which don't deal well with the variable lead angle.
So you're saying that they're not articulating?

I would definitely want a fully articulating (swivelling) block up there.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Swivel block with shackle.

Also, it helps to have a spinnaker bail or crane attached to masthead fitting that gets the block farther out front of the headstay. If you have a "snuffer" for your asym, the sleeve gets bunched up at the top and can interfere with things sometimes.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I have the same crane as Valcour. I added a Garhauer block that swivels.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Paul, did you make that fixture? I need to move mine out about 6" to get clearance for the furler, and was thinking about crafting something like yours.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Paul, did you make that fixture? I need to move mine out about 6" to get clearance for the furler, and was thinking about crafting something like yours.

The first crane was made and installed by rigger.

I made the second crane and my grandson installed it.

paulj
:hook2:

Attachments