Spinnaker Emergency Brake Line

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I always thought the best and fastest way to de-power a spinnaker is to completely release the guy. Then the spin would fly like a flag, the boat would stand up and you can recover. Some, maybe on this forum, have said this is a dangerous practice. I would like to hear why? (I'm not referencing the video)
If the guy is blown the luff of the sail will go forward and it is easier to retrieve it with sheet because the pole isn't in the way. Usually the problem arises when the boat is sailing high on the wind and the spinnaker is strapped to the forestay. With the guy blown, the spinnaker streams off to leeward. This is how spinnakers are often doused on big boats, the foredeck releases the guy from the spinnaker while everyone tries to get it down behind the mainsail.

When the sheet is released, the streams off to leeward but does so from the pole and not from the masthead. This makes it more difficult to retrieve the spinnaker because it is forward and the pole is in the way. The guy always has more tension on it, so it releases faster.

With this said, when the :poop: hits the fan in a broach, depowering any way possible is the goal. Recovery is easier and faster when the guy is blown.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The way we always depowerded the spinnaker is simply head off, and hide the chute behind the main. Depowers instantly. And if it is so windy you can't head off, then you should have doused the chute earlier.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The way we always depowerded the spinnaker is simply head off, and hide the chute behind the main. Depowers instantly. And if it is so windy you can't head off, then you should have doused the chute earlier.
This is accurate. Down in the puffs, up in the lulls when flying a chute.

Racers often sail on the ragged edge of control and sometimes fall over the edge. When that happens the rudder will cavitate and it will have no effect on the boat's course. The only option is to depower by blowing the guy and vang. With the vang off, the boom will rise depowering the main.

When you're lying on beam ends, it is too late to steer.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The J series of video's, I think with regard to the J24, is to blow the vang first i.e. de-power the main first. Then de-power the spinnaker. They are way more expert than me, but I'd lose the spin first. They're probably assuming that you are still racing. But at that point I just don't want to break the boat or hurt someone.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Sometime ago, after my some 20 years of racing, Frank Bethwaite was sailing with me and got on my ass about keeping the boat under the rig. Haven't broached since.